5 window Cab

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jmather, Nov 21, 2005.

1. jmather

jmather Member

I am sure many can answer this, but it is something that has puzzled me for years. Why is a cab that actually has 6 windows (7 if you count the 2 halves of the windshield) called a 5 window cab?

2. bennyhunch

bennyhunch Member

May-be because its a wind-shield not a wind-ow?
    :7

3. coilover

coilover Member

On a 51-53 there are actually nine pieces of glass if it has corner glass but only five of them are windows. Two are windshields, and two are vents. On 47-50 the count would be two less (7) because they don't have vents but still have 5 windows and it would be one less (8) on 54-55 1st because of the one piece windshield. I know it seems like splitting hairs but back when you worked on these trucks everyday it saved confusion because you could order a door window and they knew you meant the one that rolled up and down and not the triangular one that pivoted open. Hope this helps.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hey ! whaddya mean ' back in the day ' ? are you calling me _OLD_ ?!

~ oh wait ~ nevermind :7

-Nate

5. jmather

jmather Member

Thanks for all the responses. I've always wondered.

6. coilover

coilover Member

Hey Nate; as one who turns 69 in January almost everyone is YOUNG. Someone who's young and smart could help me with a recent aquisition though. I got a GMC engine with a bad allison transmission out of a 60 model army truck from a friend of mine that knows he can pawn anything old and automotive off on me. The truck was an all wheel drive on the rear tandems and front axle. The engine has everything sealed against water and the spark plugs look like pipe nipples with threads for the wires to screw onto. It's all 24 volt with a huge generator and a voltage regulator the size of a dinner bucket. Would you or anyone know what engine this is.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Military GMC Engine

Well ;

I worked on a few of those back in the 60's , I know NGK still made the spark plugs a few years ago although I'd bin the entire waterproof & radio shilded ignition system my ownself as they're a PIA
    IMO .

I'd guess it's a 302 C.I.D. but I dunno .

I wish I could see it as I have " Long Motor Envy " like most Bowtie owners....

Being a Jimmy , I'd just flush it and tune it , see how it runs then slap it on in and be happy .

_7_ main bearings , high nickle content cast iron , the list goes on........

-Nate

8. coilover

coilover Member

RE: Military GMC Engine

Thanks Nate, I think your right since a couple of others have given the same assessment. I saw on Stovebolt that Wayne has a lot of performance stuff for a 302 but much $$$. When you said long I measured it and a person would definitely have to relocate the radiator in an AD. It was taken out of the military truck, which now has a water tank on it, because the auto trans went bad and was expensive to have repaired. Replaced with a V8. I have a 3/4 ton 52 model that I've wanted to make into a trailer towing rig since my 1/2 ton tows fine but not the greatest in the stopping department. I think this might be just the engine for the job. It runs well but smokes some--hopefully from sitting unused for over a year.

9. dunhamfield

dunhamfield Member

Speaking of 5 window cabs...I recently saw a 56 5 window...Is this something that someone created or did the factory produce a 5 window cab along with the small and deluxe big 3 window cabs???????

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: '56 5 window Cab

Sounds like some home brew or kustom thing to me .

Was it nice ? of a POC ? . the Air Force had bunches of long cab Task Force trucks made in the 50's , I've not seen one in years but you'll occasionally see one in the background of thos old 50's / 60's Rah Rah typ hero movies shot on Air Bases....

-Nate

11. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Yeah if I am not mistaken the cab was made in this style b/c when my brother was looking for a doner cab for spair parts it seems to me that we had cone across one.
    I will get back to you guys if my minde serves me wrong.

12. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Ok yeah I was wrong I don't know what I was thinking. There was a small back window and then their was a wrap around window wich served the same purpose as the 5 window cab (better viz). But of course you all aready knew that.

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: We Know NOTHING !

Don't sweat it , my mind wandered off a few years ago , I hope it's someplace nice .

Evan , dija ever get the project '52 up and running ? it has Bendix brakes and so should stop well unless the drums have been turned too many times...

-Nate