63-66 Hood

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Young C10, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Young C10

Young C10 Member

I need a hood for my 66 and I dont want fiberglass or a hood covered in bondo. Any ideas where I can get one? :D

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Swap Meets, your local Craig's List and wrecking yards are your best bet. You might be able to find one on e-Bay but the shipping will kill you !

Val

3. Young C10

Young C10 Member

Thanks a bunch Val! I will be sure to check out craigslist

4. bebo94

bebo94 Member

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want a fiberglass hood?

5. Young C10

Young C10 Member

I don't want a fiberglass hood, because I am trying to restore the truck as original as possible, and all steel with a fiberglass hood just wouldnt be quite original, I also just want the heavy durable Steel! is there any reason fiberglass is better that I don't know? :confused:

6. 62 short step

62 short step Member

Its lighter and will not rot. But I prefer steel too!!:D

7. bebo94

bebo94 Member

I don't know if there's any benefit to a fiberglass hood other than weight and no rust. The steel hood on my 63 is extremely heavy. I was just asking in case there was some other detriment that I was missing out on.

After a wreck in 92, I had a fair amount of trouble finding a hood. I think it will be tougher finding one now. In fact the hood I found still required a lot of bondo work to smooth out imperfections

Good luck.

8. billydonn

billydonn Member

Your public profile pic shows a hood that looks sort of okay. Is it not? As others have said, these are getting harder to find all the time. Local U-pull it yards around here still have one or two of these trucks most of he time, but they get picked over pretty fast. Not impossible to find a decent hood on one though. Find a yard that has one or two of the trucks and visit it often!

Quality and fit is a good reason to avoid fiberglass...unless I could inspect in person before purchase I wouldn't buy one. Keep in mind that GMC hoods after about 61 will interchange... and they look nice too IMO.

9. devildog 1950

devildog 1950 Member

Do you watch ebay ? I have seen several parts trucks in florida in the past few weeks,and a few running trucks for sale at a fair price, if you can't find one I have a spare hood,shipping would be some what costly, let me know. Dan

10. Young C10

Young C10 Member

Billy, The hood I have is Ok. It has a solid hole from left to right on the bottom lip, which by the looks seems like a slightly difficult place to bondo it effieciently, So I am holding out to see if I can one in better condition, I have found several junk trucks locally, but I am lacking the funds!

11. Young C10

Young C10 Member

Dan, I check ebay often, but the parts and trucks are out of my current price range and the road trip to them seems to be my hardest problem. But I haven't seen many in Florida lately, I must be overlooking them, But thank you I will get back to you about that hood if my problem continues. I am down the frame of my truck and don't need one in demand right now,Just looking ahead to make sure I don't miss a deal!

12. 283 man

283 man Member

keep a eye on e-bay Young c-10,they have some good deals on there sometimes.:)

13. Young C10

Young C10 Member

Awesome! Will do 283 man!
    ~Nick

14. 283 man

283 man Member

Young C-10 I have a spare 64-66 chevy hood thats really ruff, let you have it for FREE just pay shipping if you want it I can get you pictures.

15. Young C10

Young C10 Member

That woudl be great! Send me some pics! and get me a quote on shipping if you can
    Thanks!
    Nick

16. 283 man

283 man Member

Will do Young c-10,give me till some time next week during the week and Ill P.M. you pictures and let you know on shipping.I understand,I have a 17 year old Son he loves 64-66 trucks like you and I do thats why if you want it its yours FREE all you pay is shipping.It nice to have younger generation interested in old chevy trucks!!:D

17. Young C10

Young C10 Member

That's Awesome! Thanks so much! I have a 1987 Suzuki Samurai that my dad and I built and we had an old non runnin 68 c10 i was goin to rebuild then i fell in love with the 66 and saved my money till i bought a perfect bodied one. i am 2nd owner! So this is my first restore project, first of many hopefully, hardest part is gettin the $$!

18. joe231

joe231 Member

19. Young C10

Young C10 Member

Aww man! I wish I lived closer! Thanks for the thought

20. joe231

joe231 Member

yeah me too!!