Runner Cooler

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by steve, Jan 3, 2008.

1. steve

steve Member

Peeps

I have installed and electric fan 16 inch, nice looking unit big CFM's. I removed the stock no clutch fan from my 250. I want to try to get the best mileage I can. Also the 250 seams to like running fan-less the less drag is nice, also warms up a lot quicker too.

What I need to know, is instead of direct electrical hookup with a toggle switch. I like to install a temperature switch. My question is where and how. My heater gage works fine, is there a combination type switch to operate both.

Or should the fan work off the thermostat housing? Need new housing to acept a switch.

Thanks

Happy new year guys....;)

2. rxpx40

rxpx40 Member

You really want to run the thermostatic fan switch in the radiator. Most new vehicles operate their electric fans this way. The logic is simple: The fan pulls cooling air through the radiator, cooling your engine coolant. If you want the fastest response to engine temperature, you will want the sensor as close to the input hose, (should be coming from the thermostat) So the top tank on the radiator would be your best bet. Many thermostatic switches are available for whichever heat range you desire.

Chris

3. HOT RODDER 1932

HOT RODDER 1932 Member

Ron Francis Wiring Inc. has several kits to accomplish this. I recommend the Switch that screws into the water jacket plug on the block and runs to a switching relay that is made for cooling fans(70+ amp). They have every thing you will need and the parts are high quality.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Deal

Steve ;

I am running just this typ of setup on my '49s 235 , I mounted the pusher fan up as close to the header as I could get it for maximum efficiency and used the water outlet from a Camaro I found in Pick-A-Part , screwed a Horton fan switch into the 3/4" holes and wired up a relay as you do not ever run the fan's current through the temp. switch .

Also , you should wire it live , so the fan will come on after you've parked the truck and shut it down , in a few minutes the engine will " heat soak " and the fan will come on and cool it down in 5 minutes or less , this prevents all the plastic bits under the hood from dying of heat every few years and stops the carby from boiling over on those hot summer days too ~ it's a win - win situation .

5. steve

steve Member

Good tips guy’s thanks for the information, Nate I was think of the same setup, and around 180 deg (have to check). Right now I has to off-set the fan because it's approximately one inch from the belts.

I have a housing that has the blank, wonder if I can tap it out!:

:eek:

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Flip the fan to make it a " pusher " typ ~ ignore the dunderheads who don't understand basic science and think pushers are less efficient , there's more room to work with in front of the radiator and it'll be out of sight too , another win-win situation .

You should be able to drill & tap that housing , if it won't it's junk anyways
    so go to P-A-P or FLAPS and get one for a late 80's Camaro with the V-6 engine although I'm pretty sure it's the same for V-8's too .

BTW : your 250 I-6 will run even better with a 185° thermostat . if you're using the original AD radiator, that's big enough to cool off a Caddy 500 CID
    V-8 so it'll handle your little 6 Banger just fine .