tires what to do?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 48willys, Jan 7, 2008.

1. 48willys

48willys Member

Just went to my local tire shop and asked about 7.50-17 tires for my 1 ton.He said he can only get one type of tire in that size .Where can I get tires for my truck?I want somthing with a little tread on it because I would like to use it in field hauling hay ,but on the other hand I don't want mud bogger tires on it,because I want to drive it around on the road.

2. rix 48

rix 48 Member

I'm sure Gator will chime in here soon with some ideas. I really like the wheels and tires on his 1 ton. I'm not that far with mine yet but I'll need the info. too.

Rick

3. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

48willys,
    I don't know what you have. I have a truck like rix 48 so it is a pickup even though it is a 3800 1 ton. My split rims were in poor shape and I was a little afraid of them if they had been in good shape. So, I went with Pacer wheels. They are 16 inch and have a narrow backspacing to clear the steering arm. I can give you details if you want but I can't help with the originals since I didn't go that way.
    Gater

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

You've got a tough decision here! 7.50x17 tires are hard to find in something that won't jar your teeth out on the road! There are still some vendors that sell the old style 8-ply bias tires, but man are they tough on a body. New "vintage" radial tires are almost impossible to find in the correct aspect for these trucks in the 17" kind. Think about what you really want or need for your truck, and I'm sure we can "steer";) you in the right direction.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

It Seems To Me

That Dayton still makes tall , skinny 17" Radial LT tires.....

I'd look up the company's website and/or write them a letter , many tires stores will be too lazy to open the catalog and LOOK to see if the correct size tire is even available .

6. rxpx40

rxpx40 Member

I heard that trailer tires are bias ply. While I haven't confirmed this, it seems you might be able to find some that fit your application.
    Chris

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Warning ! Danger Danger !

Trailer tires are -not- designed to carry the drive loading of the engine so they tend to have fairly short lifespans when used on powered vehicles ~ I know lots and lots of brandy new trailer tires are thrown out every year so if you get them free , you might try some but don't expect long life and don't be surprised when you get tread ply seperation .

8. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

I got my 7.00-18 tires for my 54 one ton dually from my local tire guy. They are from STA, Specialty tire of america. (made in America!!) Highway tread though. Chris

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

17" Radial Light Truck Tires

O.K. , as I said , this is no biggie ~ I went to ' America's Tire Co. ' to-day and the nice man there looked in his computer and said they have many different 17" LT tires available , I told him you needed narrow tall tires for a _real_ truck , not a low rider and he said " American Made , 235/80R17 carry out cost is $147.00 per tire , in stock at most stores " , this is a Nationwide chain so look them up in your 'phonebook and go get some good tirtes that'll last for years & years and be safe too , unlike Bias Ply junk .

I hope this helped .