Cab Sprung?

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by go blue!, Jan 15, 2008.

1. go blue!

go blue! Member

I removed the step on the driver side for a replacement. I failed to tack in a brace to prevent springing. When lining up new step it is about an inch or so away from the step bracket and door is sagging about an inch. I can close door if I lift it up at handle. Does this mean cab has sprung? How do I check and if so how can I get cab back in proper position?

2. cosmo1957

cosmo1957 Member

What do you mean by "step bracket" ?

I don't think you could "spring" the cab out of position by removing the step... I did both sides on my truck without any braces tacked in place.

Shawn

3. go blue!

go blue! Member

The step bracket or brace is located behind the step and under the floor pan. Could it be I just need to make the new step fit properly.
    thanks

4. Sledge Hammer

Sledge Hammer Member

If the cab is still on the frame there is no way the cab sprang or moved that much. I have to say I have driven trucks in the past where both steps were completely rotted away and areas of the floor were missing and the doors closed fine. I got a little wet driving in the rain, but it wasn't sprung at all. Braces are definately needed when the cab is off the frame or more areas are being removed, but it sounds like either the replacement piece isn't very good or the lower door pillar is in poor condition. When purchasing replacement patch panels, you get what you pay for.