Spring Painting

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by taz101, Sep 14, 2004.

1. taz101

taz101 Guest

Hi Everyone,
    I have taken my leaf springs apart and wire brushed them. Should I paint the matting surfaces before I assemble them or paint the assembly after they are put together.
    Thanks Paul

2. smoov330

smoov330 Member

Good question...I disassembled mine,cleaned,painted and installed the poly ride liner from C.D.. I'm hoping for a quieter and smoother ride. The truck isnt finished yet but I can tell it did mak a difference...Ed

3. tech1

tech1 Member

i do not have any literature to back me up but in my opinion if you paint in between the leafs you may not get the ride you want, or it may make a little noise but i could be wrong it would not be the first time

4. smoov330

smoov330 Member

I would think that if the springs are not painted, they would rust and cause binding and not a smooth movement between springs along with more noise from the metal on metal. I suppose if your hauling a fair amount of weight all the time you might want more bindage (?). Any more thoughts out there? Ed

5. DrMike

DrMike Member

The only thing you should put between the leafs of the springs is the poly lining sold by CD. Painting them will cause them to rust faster and cause binding.

If you are worried about rust on the springs, a little motor oil brushed on them occasionally will inhibit the rust. The only problem with brushing them with oil is that if you put too much on them, they tend to collect dirt very quickly.

Best advise would be to let them alone.

Dr Mike

6. tech1

tech1 Member

I agree with the doc i don't think that paint is a great idea unless it is all show and no go. And on top of that he a freaking doctor!!!
    ha ha ha?:7

7. smoov330

smoov330 Member

Ok..How will painting them cause them to rust faster than bare metal? I do believe when I took appart the springs they were painted. I've had lots of trucks over the years and I've broken a few springs , I'm pretty sure they were painted.....?

8. p51mustang

p51mustang Member

Just another ? on top of the first post!
    What about painting the springs and then adding the poly in between
    the springs would there be any problem in doing that?