roof replacement

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Terrykuse1, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Terrykuse1

Terrykuse1 Member

I am trying to replace the roof and rear window on a 56. from a small window to a big. has anyone tried this?

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Terrykuse1, i've never done it, but Brothers new catalog has cab repair panels for both the rear (small window and large) cab panel, and an outer rood panel skin. Kinda spendy though!

Check out their website www.BrothersTrucks.com

3. Terrykuse1

Terrykuse1 Member

I own 4 cabs I dont need more just trying to chop a top

4. HervéThomas

HervéThomas Member

Teery Hi. I have the same question, I wanna change the window, and I was wondering: have you make any progress since u ask that question, do u know now how to do it, have u done it, etc etc...
    Thanks.
    H.

5. 55-59 TruckNut

55-59 TruckNut Member

Are you "chopping" or "SWAPPING?"

:confused:

I read that you said you want to "chop" the small window cab roof and replace it with a BIG window rear panel.

Leaves the question... Are you wanting to just cut off the old roof and back panel and replace it with a BIG window roof and rear window section?

OR.... Are you asking how to "chop the top" (reduce the height of the roof and doors) ??? :confused:

The fact that you have several cabs to choose from is great, if so, why not just restore one that has a Large Rear Window?

I have been in the 55-59 business for a long time, I have yet to see a Chopped Top on a Big Window Cab! I Shudder to think how that rear window will get cut correctly even with a new laminated BIG rear glass! (You would not be able to cut or grind down an old style Big Glass or Windshield it would shatter in your face!)

If you are an expert body man, and have a glass man that knows his stuff, you MAY be able to get it done.... But if you are a novice, with a limited budget, then a "Chop" is not what you should try!

If you are just going to try and replace the rear window section, I saw an article on that in Classic Truck Builder once.... It was still a job for a really experienced body shop.

My 2-cents

55-59 TruckNut:)

6. Terrykuse1

Terrykuse1 Member

looking to replace small window to large and replacing roof
    why not fix large? cost .
    fire wall rusted / floor rusted / steps rusted / cab corners rusted
    chop top or swap chop top question is how to weld windshield post.
    rear panel welding is simple
    or if all else fails buy a large window cab for cab number 5

7. HOT RODDER 1932

HOT RODDER 1932 Member

The back window on a big window cab has to be recesed into the cab to do a chop. It is possible just very time consuming. OZ customs in Oriville CA has done this. and it looks good. Myself I would just do the chop with what you have. Every body wants a big window so why not restore the small window.

8. Terrykuse1

Terrykuse1 Member

this will be the last entry on this thread
    what I was trying to do was replace a roof
    what I got was a small window in good shape with damaged to roof and winshield post
    I have 3 other cabs to choose from
    a large cab beyond repair
    what I was asking was
    cut the window post cut below the rear window on the body line and replace with the big window chop or swap swap
    from info I have received it has only been done twice in 51 years
    I would of liked to make #3 just for something to do

9. rmtautomotive

rmtautomotive Member

Top replacement

I feel your grief. When I replaced the floor firewall section on my burban with a rust free pickup cab section, I cut the windshield post above, or below the vin number, dependant on which you are using, and cut the spot welds at the cab corner step area.
    Very little body work that way and not a bad job to do.
    Rod