68 checy c10 rochester carb Choke?

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Soba_03, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Soba_03

Soba_03 Member

Ok I have a 68 C10 with a 307 and 2 brl rochestor carb. I'm having a problem with the choke spring. (divorced choke ssetup) The truck came with a manual choke, I have replaced the carb with the same model rebuilt from delco only difference is that it has a vacuum choke pull off. I'm installing the choke spring that i purchased from Brothers catalog because it was the only one that I could find. Here is what I have got, It would seem that the new choke spring is wound backwards. when it heats up it wants to pull the choke closed, and visce versa. Can someone look at their set u and tell me if their choke spring is wound clock wise or counter clock wise?

I'm sure that I can make it work. But I hate to rig it and it is the only divorced choke set up I can find. Nothing in the yards.

Any help or thoughts on this would be great and pic's would be worth a thousand words...

2. 283 man

283 man Member

I have a 2 barrel roc. all there off 1966 c-20- 283 motor soon as I can Ill post
    pictures of it if you want it Ill take $20.00 for it and you pay shippping it only need a kit put in it.

3. Soba_03

Soba_03 Member

RE:2Brl Rochester

283man,

Thank you, I don't need a carb, The one that I have is a Delco rebuild. I'm having problems with the Choke Spring instalation. I Would love to see the Choke instalation if your using a Divorced Choke. I'm trying to determine if the spring is wound backwards. this is the picture of the kit that I bought and the spring installed. It is all screwed up in my head. I think that the choke spring is backwards, you know pushes when it should pull, and vice versa. I just need someone that own the same set up to tell me that theirs is the same way.

Attached Files:

4. 283 man

283 man Member

I take some pictures today later or early tommorow morning need help with camara:rolleyes:. thanks

5. i90wrench

i90wrench Member

I haven't dug into one of these for a while. Just rebuilt a rochester 2bbl a couple weeks ago for a guy and hooked the auto choke back up. Someone cobbled up a cable to it and pulloff was sucking air. I think the spring should run parallel with carb if that makes sense. Can it mount 90 degrees from where you have it? I could be way off base, stayed for too many buds after work!

6. 283 man

283 man Member

Sorry want be able to post pictures cameras missed up,might be while before I can get another one. sorry again.

7. Tommy Mealer

Tommy Mealer Member

divorced choke

This is what I was looking for, also. I have a 72 quadrajet that I'm having the exact same problem with. I thought my old thermostat was bad, so I ordered a new one. Same problem. When the engine gets hot, the choke pulls on more. Wierd! The parts houses only show one for the truck. I'll stay in touch when and if I find out anything.

8. chevy_man_3

chevy_man_3 Member

Hi, chevy used two different chokes. One pulls down when hot, and the other pushes up when hot. Go to your parts store and have them find one for different engines, then pick the one you need.

Vince