Changes to my Stepside 66

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by RMC 66, Jan 23, 2008.

1. RMC 66

RMC 66 Member

Hi everyone my name is Ruben, I am new to the forum. I bought my 66 from my Brother which he did most of the mods to it.
    I want to do a couple of changes.
    First Question
    The truck still has the old style alt. 63 Amps with the voltage regulator on the fire wall. What I want to do is change out the Alternator to a 100 Amp and voltage regulator inside.
    My Question is the wires that are connected to the voltage regulator from the fire and the wires coming out of the regulator to the Alt. , do I just connect them together and by pass the regulator. I have NO clue what I am doing, that is why I am asking. I have been read some of the posts here and what I have been reading looks like you all know what you are doing.
    I will post another question after I finish the Alternator

Any help I can get would be very much appreciated.
    RMC 66

2. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

WOW!!!, I just did this, with alot of help from the guys on here. I changed to a 1 wire, some say not the best, but at revs. above 2000 they work fine. All I did was mount it, run a 8ga. wire from the pos. on the batt. to the back post on the alt case on the back and BAM!, it works. as long as your existing volt guage is updated, it will work fine. hope this helps. g.t.

3. billydonn

billydonn Member

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I recommend using this $17 dollar harness from our hosts here at Classic Parts.
    http://www.classicparts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=52-896

I not only used it on my truck, but also on a 70 and 72 Chevelle when I converted them to one wire 100 amp alts.

No muss, no fuss, and all the guages/ idiot lights will work.

Val

5. 283 man

283 man Member

been thinking about converting mine over on my truck,when I do will defintly buy it from our host here at Classic Parts thats not bad price at all:).

6. RMC 66

RMC 66 Member

Thanks All I knew I could get the help I needed. i wanted to do it tomorrow ,but it suppose to freeze here in Dallas, so i have to wait till this weekend.
    My second question was about the smelly gas tank in the cab, but i got my answer when someone asked it on another post.

glad I found this forum. hope you all don't mine me asking all kinds of questions.

Thanks again

Ruben

7. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Ask away Ruben, before you know what happened, YOU will be answering !! ;)

Val

8. beck

beck Member

Want to save a few bucks on that one wire alternator. Check out the marine alternator parts at you local parts store. Where do you think those one wire alternators originated? There isn't much to the inside of an alternator. Most guys can tackle the rebuild at home. Check the brushes and bearings while you are inside it. Add the one wire regulator and put it back together. A impact wrench makes simple work of taking the pulley off. The rest is just simple hand tools and a couple tooth picks to hold the brushes while putting it back together. If you have a bead blaster you can make it look like new in the process. There is a nice rubber boot available to cover up the spades on the alternator that are no longer used if you want it to look just right.
    I have a buddy that runs a street rod wiring shop. He is my source for all the parts so I don't have part numbers for anyone, sorry.