Changing from small to large window..??

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by HervéThomas, Dec 30, 2007.

1. HervéThomas

HervéThomas Member

Hi..

Got two cabs, one almost dead (GMC 57 with a large window, entire floor is "gone"), the other tip/top (Chevy 58), but with a small window... of course, I wanna swap, put the large window on the good cab, and I was wondering if any body could give me some advices..?? where to cut, removing glass before cutting, or keeping the glass mounted, so the panel is more rigid, etc etc...
    Thanks for reading, thanks for sharing...

Hervé

2. Sledge Hammer

Sledge Hammer Member

I've thought of the same swap for my small window 59, but I often wonder if repairing the dead cab is better than swaping the window from another cab. Seems like there is a lot of talk about it, but no one writes back that has done it. My truck was in a wreck years ago before I got hold of it damaging the entire rear corner. At the time patch panels weren't available. The repair was fair to say the least. Most can't tell, but I would like to redo it. If I am repairing the entire rear left section of the cab, during the redo process swapping to the larger window is very tempting. I will have to keep an eye on this thread.

Sledge

3. 55-59 TruckNut

55-59 TruckNut Member

It has been done !

Herve~

I saw an article in a truck mag on this ??? I will see if I can find it.

Of course I BET you did not know this....? A complete big window section is now available from DII (Dynacorn International, Inc) so that would be a great start, and then you could sell the other big window to someone who wants to do the floors on up restoration. :rolleyes: ???

Oh, I also have a cab cut of big window cab rear section in the store room.

And.... if you want me to look for the article or provide details about a NEW or used BWC rear section, send me a PVT message.

55-59 TruckNut :D

4. steve

steve Member

Thomas,

In Custom Classic Truck
    July 2006, issuse they take a large (big) window and cut and weld the section on to a small window, looks a lot of work but , go for it. If you can't find this back issuse, let me know I will send you mine.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  5. Coronas56

Coronas56 Member

Big window conversion,I've done it

took about 6 hrs, I had tons of pics , but disc went bad.......

Attached Files:

6. 427Rat

427Rat Member

The cabs arn't available YET, I emailed them and they said they should be ready be by the end of march, if everything goes to plan. :) It the 55-59 big window.

7. Terrykuse1

Terrykuse1 Member

big window repair section, big dollars
    I have also asked about swapping small to big
    i cut front window posts and below back window at body line
    I asked for the last few months on how to do it
    but just did it looking good so far