New Here and Maybe Crazy

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by Rumbles, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Rumbles

Rumbles Member

Hello Chevy Lovers, I have the opportunity to buy a 1985 Chevy Short Box, 305 4 Barrel with a documented 2nd owner (collector) 1,625 miles (this is not a misprint). it has of course original dark blue paint with a beautifully glowing chrome package and rally wheels, exhaust is original. It has no air or pw or locks but has the original stereo. It has a GM dealer installed tonneau cover that required no holes only 2 sided velcro tape. Do you guys think I would be crazy to pay $18,000 dollars for this truck? There is absolutely no chance it is not the original mileage, it has been stored in a heated garage since 1985 and when you inspect it it shows the same as would it would have in 1985. Original bill of sale and window sticker from the local dealer where it was purchased are included. I have a couple of weeks to make up my mind.

Attached Files:

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Well it depened on how bad you want it, or how nice it drives. what it look like under the hood and in side the truck dash, steering wheel, seat, door panels. The miles are all ways good low but some part will wear out once you star driveing it so keep that in mind it a old truck.
    from pic look good If it that good it might be worth it. But is it really worth it to you or how bad do you like it. I would try to get a compression test on the motor before buying it just to see how the motor is. The head seal on the motors go after this long, hopefully the valve gides are good with that low of miles if it was keep in good tune.
    If not will need head valve gide work from a shop or new heads.

3. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

NO!, Its not even a "classic" yet... I bought an all orig. '85 silverado 6yrs ago for $1500. sitting on blocks in a mans garage... it DID have 59000 mi. on it, but all orig other than that... you can do what you want, but i would NOT buy that truck...look at www.kbb.com. you may get 500 for trade in, or even 3500 from a private buyer.. g.t.
    chevy rocks ford sucks.!

4. drabo

drabo Member

Hell yes I would. You are basically buying a new truck. It is a classic, it is over 20 years old and was a popular body style. Think about it this way, how much would you spend to restore another truck like it. I'd bet a little more than 18K.

5. billybones

billybones Member

I vote no. $12k sounds more reasonable. Truck is not a collectible model, has no options........may be nice and new..........buuuuut

6. i90wrench

i90wrench Member

I agree with Billybones, 10-12 grand seems awfully fair. Probably sold for less than that new. Plus if you plan on doing some driving I'm sure there will be seal/gasket issues. Now if it were a 65:p That and 85 was the year I gradiated high school and that year is a lil' fuzzy for me!