Easy way to unstick emergency brake on '68 C20?

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by glw, Feb 2, 2008.

1. glw

glw Member

I'm trying to get my '68 C20 through Penna. state safety inspection and I was wondering if anyone knows an easy way to unstick the rear emergency brake cables without removing the rear drums. I've already tried shooting some WD40 down the inside of the cable housing and am planning to let it soak overnight. Should I expect this to work? Or is this a waste of time. I recently bought this truck and I understand it requires pulling the rear axles out in order to check or adjust the brakes. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

glw

PS '68 C20 (camper special?) with '70 Olds 455 in it.

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

New one would be better, but it can work. But the best way is to take the cable off hang them up this may take a day or a week or longer. You will have to spray lots and work them as much as you can till they free up. But I would dry them off as best you could and lube the cable with white grease work the grease in. one a year I would do this just keep them lubed and free. Mostly older used parts but new one benfit for this too.

( use what ever brand you like. PB work well too and some others too)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  3. INGRAM1943

INGRAM1943 Member

Parking brake cables

I had the same problem with my '68. I gave up trying to free up the 40 year old cables and purchased 2 rear cables from CLASSIC PARTS for $25 each. Easy to install and they work great! I also replaced the front cable (also $25).