hei

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by chevy70perez, Feb 7, 2008.

1. chevy70perez

chevy70perez Member

a buddy of mine suggest i go with a HEI instead of my points I have now what do you guys think. 350 small block 1970. and I would like a drop on my truck but dont want to go to low cause I live in the country any suggestions.

2. INGRAM1943

INGRAM1943 Member

HEI vs. Points

I have a '68 w/stock 350 and I changed to an HEI and like it. Make sure you install a quality Spark plug wiring set if you go with the HEI. Also, check out Early Classic Enterprises web for ideas on dropping your truck. They provide actual pictures of comparison drops. If you don't want an extreme drop, I'd suggest using just springs and no drop spindles (2" front and 4" rear would give you an even drop look without compromising your ride). Good luck!

3. chevy70perez

chevy70perez Member

thank you very much brother I love this web site

4. drabo

drabo Member

I use a Mallory Unilite with 8mm in my truck. Instead of a set of points it uses a optical eye. The advance is built into it. I'm also running a Mallory Promaster coil. She starts right up at -20 in Alaska.

5. basketcase

basketcase Member

I put a Mallory HEI in mine with Taylor Pro Series 8mm wires. The Mallory is about $146. at Summit or Jegs. I was going to rebuild a GM hei with the Mallory parts but it ended up being a lot cheaper to buy a complete new one.

Tom

6. tcalhoun

tcalhoun Member

i had a 70 a few years ago and changed it out to an hei setup and it started and ran alot better seemed like it was more responsive, I was always glad i made the swap.

7. spirit rider

spirit rider Member

in the bowels of the Mojave desert,pahrump,nevada
    chevy70perez; i made the change to HEI, 2 years ago and i won't go back to the points set up,, the hei works better and gives you a hotter spark to your plugs,, do the change and you be glad you did. i also have a 70 1/2'er runs great since the change.
    :cool: