Door Components

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by jessie57, Apr 23, 2004.

1. jessie57

jessie57 Member

I'm in the process of assembling my doors, I have a few questions...

1) Does the vent window frame/post go in before or after the window regulator or does this even matter?

2) Does the door glass felt channel run from the vent window frame/post all the way around in one piece or would it be best to section it? The reason I ask is because I have no way of keeping the felt in place while it dries.

Thanks

2. tech1

tech1 Member

The vent comes out first and goes in last. It goes in there in one piece, and try some tape, or plastic wrap with the door open.

3. jessie57

jessie57 Member

Can I get some more clarification on how the windows are assembled? Preferably a step-by-step instruction set. The 55-59 manual doesn't explain much.

From the previous post, I understand the vent window post and assembly is the last to go in.

Does the window glass get bolted to the regulator or should it be kept free? Should the window be all the way rolled down or up? Do the window and vent window post have to be installed simultaneously? I'm out of ideas. Thanks.

4. smoov330

smoov330 Member

When I removed my windows in my 56 I do remember having to have both pieces loose in order to get either one removed. They had to come out at the same time. Hope that helps....Ed

5. jessie57

jessie57 Member

We were able to do one side using this method, loosely holding the window and then inserting the vent frame, however we did quite a lot of damage in scratching the frame post and scratching the interior paint on the door. There has got to be an easier way that takes less of a toll on the truck.

6. rick az

rick az Member

Hi Jessie!
    I just went through the nightmare you are now experiencing-- the end result was worth it, though. First, unbolt the two screws holding the door glass to the regulator. Then, LOWER the glass down into the door. It won't go far-- the door brace stops it. Then unbolt the vent window and pull it up until the tension spring just clears the opening and then rotate it 90 degrees to the outside before pulling it out of the door-- this allows the mounting bracket on the bottom to pass through the opening in the door. NOW you can remove the door glass. When I put the channel for the door window in, I installed it last. Cut it to size (I even added a little "tongue" that inserts into the groove in the top of the division bar) and then run it down past the back of the window until it stops against the hook mounted at the back of the door (it's best to scope this all out beforehand with a flashlight while you have everything removed from the door.) With the window lowered, put the adhesive on the back of the channel (3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, yellow) move the rest of the channel into position and roll the window all the way up and leave it alone for 24 hours. Before doing any of this, you might want to check out the tutorial at brotherstruckparts.com. It was helpful to me-- but if you are doing the door weatherstripping, don't follow their lead. They put it on inside out! Good Luck!
    rick az