Steering Column Recommendation

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by omega7979, Feb 11, 2008.

1. omega7979

omega7979 Member

Hello People

Long time since i'v been on here although I read the posts every day. I'm looking for a recommendation on the length of a steering column for my 51 chevy truck......I am using the relocated steering box kit mounted to the outside of the frame from 1970 2wd truck. I am planning to use an aftermarket column but am open to suggestions and ideas.....any help will be appreciated :) ........I did something kinda weird over the weekend....I bought a 2nd series 55 pickup 3200, but I dont want to be known as a trader....because the 51 is still my baby.....the 55 is just to keep me sane when I get a craving to drive something cool.......

Thanks, Leon

2. advanced design

advanced design Member

Leon,

For a great explanation on determining steering column positioning and length check out www.ididit.com.

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

You can use the stock column, just cut off the origional steering box, mount your new box, determine where the steering wheel is most comfortable for you, cut the column to fit, with about an inch of the tube sticking out from the firewall. Cut the inner steering shaft about 1-2 inches longer than that. Find a bearing that fits inside the tube and around the shaft, fit it in the end of the tube. Get the measurements to fit a borgeson u joint set up with the ends you will need to adapt to the new steering box, mount everything up, drive it like you stole it.....

4. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

Order the Ididit catalogue; it will come with all the tech help for installation and a price chart. Even if you plan on using the original the tech sheet will help.