oil pressure sender for smallblock chevy

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by ljw, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ljw

ljw Member

I need to install aftermarket oil pressure sender on 1970 vintage small block. The new sender is large in diameter and will not fit in the stock location near the distributor-any ideas? thanks

2. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Iv'e never seen a sender too big but you can get some brass pipe fittings and raise the connection....and then install the sender.

3. ljw

ljw Member

I thought of that as a possibility. I haven't done anything but look at the connection so far-haven't measured yet-but by eyeball-it looks like my hei distributor is pretty close. Thanks for the suggestion-lee

4. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Oil Sending Unit

I had the same problem, went to a Pep Boys and bought some brass fittings to move the unit. There are some kits to do the same thing but one was not available in my area. Good luck

5. billybones

billybones Member

I remember having a brass 45 degree fitting on mine. I think it was stock too.

6. ljw

ljw Member

fittings

I went plumbing shopping and I managed to get brass fittings to make an elbow to relocate the sender away form the distributer and high enough to clear the manifold.The finished product looks good. I did this after I called the manufacturer of the part used. Thanks for the help

7. coilover

coilover Member

Some of the big trucks had a short nipple in the block with a 45 degree fitting then another nipple into the 45 on one end and an 1/8 pipe coupling on the other into which the sender threaded. I don't recall the reason but the set up was tall enough to clear the intake but short enough to clear the bottom of the distributor. Many of the older sbc's had an 1/8" pipe plug at the front of the block just above the timing cover that pressure could be taken from but anything used in this hole usually clashed with one of the front accessories.