need to rebuild column shifter

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 66chvypu, Feb 28, 2008.

1. 66chvypu

66chvypu Member

I have a 66 c-10, six with column shift 3 spd.

- shifting is horrible, can get stuck between gears if not shifting 'correctly' what do i need to take out all the slop?
    went to 'classic chevy' in OKC, they were clueless.

I really want to keep the shifter on the column and keep the floor clear.

saw a few mentions of a 3 speed with an overdrive, will any swap in and work with the 66's column shifter? not lookin to build a hot rod, just a reliable 'work truck'.

additional thought, I plan to eventually swap in a 327 or 350, just stock(ish), any problems with the 3 speed (or one with overdrive?)

thanks
    Beau

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Check out the grommets on the shift levers at the bottom of the column. If you don't see any, that is the beginning of slop. Next are the shift levers on the trans. It will take an assist from a friend sitting in the cab and doing the shifting, while you, on your back under the truck, look for obvious causes of binding.

No magic bullet here. Just problem isolation and diagnosis..

Oh yea, the trans should be fine with a regular 350/330 hp swap and "normal" driving habits. Replace clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing and have the flywheel resurfaced.

Val

3. 66chvypu

66chvypu Member

thanks

thanks val,

I'll check it out this weekend. I I had my dad shift through the gears while I watched, (which is how i figured out to shift) but that was a while back and I can't remember exactly.

Classic Parts has Shift bushing (3 sp 60-66) for a couple bucks a piece. can't find it now, its an oblong bushing with an offset round hole.

besides that is there any "wear" parts in the shirt linkage?

i thnk the slop might be in the column itself; anything to to about that besides replacement?

thanks
    beau

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Rebuilding columns takes some specialized tools. Replacement is usually easier. Binding while shifting can also be casused by bent shift rods, so look at those too.

Thought about a floor shift ?? ;)

Val

5. Blues65

Blues65 Member

“I really want to keep the shifter on the column and keep the floor clear.”

I agree with Val, I know you are not excited about a floor shifter but it is a very easy upgrade and Shifting is made with much less effort. I put in a Hurst 3 Speed shifter and it works great. I also upgraded to a full synchromesh 3 speed and dumped the SM 318 “crash box”. The only down side of a 3 speed shifter is forgetting your not shifting a 4 speed and mistaking reverse for first. It mounts very close to my bench seat so not much floor space is lost.

6. 283 man

283 man Member

Look on truck parts for sale Raidersfan78 got one for sale might be better to change to another one.

7. OlCurt

OlCurt Member

What would a guy need with that column, other than a auto trans. Would you want to know if the column includes some linkage, etc?

I would be interested in it, as I would someday like to go to automatic.

8. 283 man

283 man Member

Its another opion if you would want to go that route....