1957 3805 Panel Truck

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by chi_slim, Mar 2, 2006.

1. chi_slim

chi_slim Member

I purchased this panel from a guy in tulsa ok. He cut the front clip or frame off in front of the firewall. He slid in the front end of an 79 1/2 ton, with a 85 siverado driveline. My problem is do I find the original front member or do I go new school with a mustang or nova front end. The current setup is bolted in place and just doesn't seem beefy enough. My wheelbase is 135 and my truck is huge. Anything i've seen on e-bay is not wide enough or long enough if looking to do a frame swap. Has anyone dealt with this problem successfully, I want this truck to be a great driver. For now I am doing bodywork and replacing the huge piece of plywood floor with some tubing. I know chevy duty has repair panels, how about for the cab floor and firewall, do I need measurements? thanx, and sorry for rambling. Slim.

2. rico_bob

rico_bob Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-06 AT 04:08 AM (CST)]That bolt-in sub frame sounds pretty scary! Why not try and find an original frame to replace that one and start over. If you want I can help. Email me.

www.rico-rods-and-relics.com
    rico@ricos-rods-and-relics.com

My trucks:
    56 SWB Stepside Small Window
    57 SWB Stepside Big Window
    58 LWB Stepside 2B Ext. Cab

3. apacheracing

apacheracing Member

I have done a few Camaro/firebird sub frames in 55 to 59 trucks including my 59 Suburban. Easy swap, rebuild parts are cheap.