gas tank ??????????

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 654x4, Mar 10, 2008.

1. 654x4

654x4 Member

need some advice. shootin for this weekend to install motor,trans,and transfercase. my tank has been out for 2 1/2 years, the inside looks pretty rough what is the best way to treat the inside . to keep trash out of my new carb and motor, fuel system

2. knotts63gmc

knotts63gmc Member

gas tank

I Took Mine To A Local Radiator Shop That Boiled It Out Clean And Then Coated It With A Liner....unleaded Fuel Is Unstable At Best And Has No Shelf Life Stored In A Tank. Have Had No Problems So Far.

3. Hotrodkilroy

Hotrodkilroy Member

Eastwood has a kit to treat ur tank. Dont forget inline fuel filters Kilroy was here

4. Blues65

Blues65 Member

I removed my gas tank and power washed it, then I took it to my local radiator shop and they told me that they couldn’t get it any cleaner (but worth the effort to have a professional look it over though). I figure if the tank lasted 40 years without coating it, why bother now? But that’s a personal choice. This is also a good time to replace the rubber fuel lines under the truck and at the motor and blow out the steel one. Replacing the sender is a good idea too. I also burnished up the copper pads on the instrument cluster under the fuel gage fasteners and the sender now works much better now.

5. 283 man

283 man Member

Sounds like good idea here.Blues65.

6. Blues65

Blues65 Member

Thank you - I just finished this job :D

7. 654x4

654x4 Member

thanks everyone i do have new stainless lines and hoses fuel sender, fuel filter, just was unsure of tank
    thanks so much