LOWERING MY 51

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by thor_xr, Jul 25, 2002.

1. thor_xr

thor_xr Member

Hi everyone

I have been wanting to lower my 51 P/U for sometime now, but what's the cheapest way to go about it? I'm a student on a budget so saving money is important. Is there a vehicle that has a suspension that will bolt to my 51.

Any suggestions?

Les

2. hedgehog

hedgehog Member

Chevy half-tons from '73 to '87 are supposed to be a bolt-on IFS replacement for your straight axle. This will lower the truck some, and give you much better handling. Lowering blocks work for the rear end, but if you find your donor truck you probably will want to take the rear axle from that so the bolt pattern matches the front wheels.

I haven't done either to my truck *yet*, but I've been doing lots of reading on doing it cheap AND safe (not mutually exclusive after all). This sounds to me like the best option for the buck.

[small]"Pass the cutting torch, I'm done f***ing around." -hedgehog[/small]

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

well i don't know what it will cost but you could look in to mono leaf srings
    cowboy

4. hedgehog

hedgehog Member

I'm not an engineer, but it seems to me monoleaf springs on an otherwise stock AD truck would increase the body roll due to reduced spring rate, and you wouldn't be able to corner at all. These rigs are all steel, and weigh a couple tons empty (mine is a 3.5 ton panel, GVW 8800 lbs). Unless you NEVER carry any weight and add heavy swaybars, the monoleaf springs will break the first time you swerve around a dog in the road. I'm sure you can add hardware to compensate, but that will push the cost up. Again, I'm not an engineer and I may be off-base, but I prefer to err on the side of safety.

If the objective is to lower the truck a few inches, lowering blocks can be installed on all four corners, and the only loss will be spring travel (not an issue if the truck is just for cruising). New shocks would be a good idea, since you're changing the height and the throw; and depending on how low you go, you'll need to alter the steering linkage to keep it from binding. If you're trying to get the nose in the weeds, you need to junk the straight axle and find an IFS clip to make it safe.

[small]"Pass the cutting torch, I'm done f***ing around." -hedgehog[/small]

5. mrlurch13

mrlurch13 Member

Charles F Rising JR You might might want to try belltech or fatjacks or for the matter eibach the three companys should have what you want and can provide what you want at a reasonable price. pick up a copy or truckin magizine and leaf through it they will have the address's of the company's I spoke of. Have a nice day and i hope the info helps you.
    :)