Steering box leak

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by go blue!, Mar 2, 2008.

1. go blue!

go blue! Member

I am getting ready to put my engine back in but my steering box is leaking. I need information on how to repair this issue so i can get rolling.

2. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

Steering Box

Mine was leaking as well - I couldn't find gaskets for it so I used some silicone sealer.

I do have a question - my book says to use "Manual Steering Gear Lubricant" - What is that? When I opened it up, it was full of some really stinky yellow-silver goo.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Seal on a 53 GMC 1/2 ton was Federal Mogul #313842.

Original GM steering box sector shaft oil seal part number : 7801626

This fits from 193? to 1970 + so you might want to keep a note of it , pencil it in the margin of your shop manual , this is the very best quality seal you can get so i'd buy one NOW whilst GM still makes it .

List member Nate was right on the money about the sector shaft seal. It is still available from GM as part number 7801626 at about $14 a pop. There were only 2 dealers in Texas that had one on the shelf. Federal-Mogul (National Seal) part # 313842 was available in the local warehouse for my FLAPS, was delivered that afternoon and cost $6.49. This is a "rubber" seal, not like the felt seal I removed from the steering box. The GM part is also a "rubber" seal.

Try typing "steering box" into the search box for many discussions of proper lubricants, etc.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lubes & leaks

It is critical to use a steering box lube that flows a bit , this wil also allow it to leak .

Replacing the seal Bill mentioned , will staunch most leaks .

In dire cases , you can fill the steering gear with STP or other super thick lube .

5. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

I just drain mine and pump it full of synthetic grease and turns better then havin oil in it.AND NO MORE LEAKING!!I have pulled the box out and changed the seal over and over and it just starts leaking again with oil.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Grease = Death

Your steering box is a delicate , finely engineered and manufactured thing , it is full of tiny recirculating balls and sheet metal guide tubes , if you put grease in it , it will die not I think so or maybe .

Use STP or Bardahl etc. as needs be but NO GREASE ! it -MUST- be oil .

7. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

Well nate,
    I have had grease in it for over 5 years and 50,000 miles and the box is NOT DEAD!!The synthetic grease lubes the ball bearings and the runners that guides them.It is better to have grease then no lube at all because the box seals suck and leak the oil out.So i would not say if you put grease in IT WILL DIE!There is nothig better then to have just restored your truck and have the box leaking all over your newly painted frame.

Cliff

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I hear you Cliff ;

However I've been working on these rigs since the 1960's and have seen many a steering box ruined by grease .

Maybe the synthetic is the key....

9. cosmo1957

cosmo1957 Member

I ran grease in mine too and found it to work fine with less of a leaky mess.

However I did buy a rebuild kit and I am gonna try it and see how long before I run out of rags !!!