Edelbrock carburator install problem

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by dijoo, Mar 21, 2008.

1. dijoo

dijoo Member

:) Hey guys !
    Everything ok here in Belgium but ....o yeah just 1 question...
    Just bought a Edelbrock 1405 carburetor and installed him.Went ok with the correct base plate i also bought.Before the Edelbrock there was a Rochester 4 jet installed,he was ok but there was no chocke mechanisme,for that i changed him.
    The question is...where do i put the hoses ?
    The hose thats from the vacuum advance and the other hose thats comes out of the intake manifold ?
    I don't have the hose that comes out the valve covers.

I hooked it up but not correct i think....
    the vacuum advance hose was hooked up left and the hose from the intake manifold was hooked up in the middle.The nipple on the right i blocked off.When the motor was cold it was just fine and there was a big smile on my face but...the motor went warm and the fun was over.Started the motor...went down...over and over,pulled of the hose that comes out of the intake manifold and there was smoke comming out of it also out of the carburetor and the motor iddle was better and did not went down.
    Somebody can help me to lett me know where to put the hoses please ? There is another hose fitting to the right of the carb,you will know what i mean.The info on the Edelbrock website was no good for my application,the little info movies on the website and on the dvd that came with the carb was also for other applications....
    Thanks for helping me out
    Thank you and have a great weekend !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  2. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

the hose coming off the air cleaner should be going to the valve cover, make sure you have a pcv valve on the valve cover, unless your running an old block and crank ventelation hooks up on the back of the block. the vaccume hole on the back of the intake is for brake booster vaccum. if thats hooked to the carb or air cleaner. there just sucking each other and that is a problem. your vaccum line that goes to your distributor needs to be constant and if your running a automatic youll need a vaccume line too. get a vaccume gauge installed in your dash and use it to see which line is constant vaccume, or use a hand held gauge to see which ones constant. make sure you plug off any vaccume ports that are not being used or you will a large amount of power loose and what well feel like an off idle miss. i usually always never use an air cleaner with a vaccume hole, i use the big vaccume port on the carb for the pcv. (positive crank ventalation valve)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  3. dijoo

dijoo Member

thanks allready for a answer 66 kustom.
    My motor is a 283 and with a manual.
    No valve cover hoses....
    The vacuum hole on the back of the intake manifold have a hose and was fitted before on the Rochester carb without any problems,that you can see on the photo,back of the carb,black rubber hose at the top of the carb.The vacuum advance hose at the bottom and the big hose straight from the back of the manifold in the air cleaner.
    It must go on a Edelbrock to no ?:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. dijoo

dijoo Member

:( Nobody else with this application ?
    I want to do it wright from the beginning without blowing some gaskets out....is this so special or is it me ?:D:D
    Thanks and have a nice sunday !

5. drabo

drabo Member

Isn't the part on the back of the block called a spark arrestor? Don't know if this is right but I have that going into the back of the carb. There is probably a block-off on it.

6. billydonn

billydonn Member

here's my old setup

Attached Files:

7. 283 man

283 man Member

Nice set-up Billydonn,same motor you have in there now?

8. rtnnhazel

rtnnhazel Member

hello, on your edelbrock 1405 has 3 ports on the front and 1 big port on the back. on the back it is for a power brake booster, if you dont have one block it or you will have a serious vaccum leak! on the front the middle is for a pcv valve if you dont have it plug it! then you are left with 2 ports if you look one is higher up than the other. the higher port is for timed vaccum and the lower port is manifold vaccum. in general and in every gm vehicle i ever owned the timed port goes to your distributor. the manifold port goes to the modulator valve on an automatic tranny, if you dont have an auto then plug it. do your self a favor and plug the hole in your air cleaner its not worth the hassel. just my 2 cents. hope i helped- robert

9. dijoo

dijoo Member

:) OK,i changed everything this morning and the test drive was verry good !
    Just like you guys discribed i blocked of the ports i don't need on the carburetor and on the motor.The iddle was perfect,driving was more than perfect,it was the first time that everything went so well when driving.There is just some black smoke when pushing the gas really deep,some more adjusting to do.
    Thanks again drabo,rtnnhazel,billydonn,66 KUSTOM and hopefully this was the last thing to ask....i am learning it;):D

10. billydonn

billydonn Member

Thank you. It's the same motor... but a different induction system.

Attached Files:

11. dijoo

dijoo Member

:rolleyes: i'm back:rolleyes:
    Before i told that the motor was running perfect.....it is not:(
    When he is cold or a little bit warm he drives perfect,verry good power,everything perfect but....when he gets hot(after 30-40 miles of driving) the problems start.
    He get to mutch gas,a lot of black smoke and the motor stops running because he gets to mutch gas.
    When driving and i stop at a traffic light....motor down and when i start again it takes some time,a lot of gas fumes,black smoke and the motor stumbles.
    No fun for the cars behind me :eek:
    Is there a explenation for this ?
    Why he gets to mutch gas when the motor is hot and not when cold ?

Thanks for your help !

12. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

just a thought, check to see if the choke is stuck, this will cause to much gas to the motor. when cold choke should be on or partial till warm, when engines warm and the choke is stuck, youll get to much gas, not enough air.

13. dijoo

dijoo Member

Hey,
    it's not the choke.
    Could the problem be ....
    the hose thats coming from the crank ventilation go's now in the aircleaner,this is i think hot air when the motor is hot,the carb is sucking this hot air in,so the air-fuel mixture is not ok,to hot ?

14. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

hot air will lessen the power, cold air will always make it perform better, but hot air shouldnt be causing the problem your having. i would still move that hose to the correct port on the cab base and cap off that vaccume port on the air cleaner.

15. dijoo

dijoo Member

:rolleyes: the problem is solved now ;)
    I used this gasket to block of the heat.

Attached Files: