Differential Question

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by jdwestsr, Mar 15, 2008.

1. jdwestsr

jdwestsr Member

How do you remove the fill plug on the differential on a 1983 C10 (2WD). This is the 10-bolt rear end. As far as I can tell, the fill plug is on the passenger side of the diff and requires some sort of special tool. Either that or the previous owner stripped it out. At first I thought it was an Allen or Torx type nut. But it's mostly squared off - it seems like something between a 3/8 and a 1/2 ratchet would fit. Any ideas ? Do I need to buy a 'Pipe Plug Socket' ? Those aren't too easy to find from what I've seen. Only online so far through www.etoolcart.com

2. i90wrench

i90wrench Member

It should be 3/8" square. They make square drive sockets but your 3/8" drive ratchet will work. It's probably been rounded out by some "round-head" Probably tighter than hell. I've had to chisel old ones out and replace the plug. 1/2' pipe I think

3. Vin63

Vin63 Member

X2...I usually use a 3/8-inch drive ratchet with a 3-inch extension. If it is rounded, you may have to use a hammer and punch to tap it loose.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008