Control arm bushings

Discussion in 'Chassis & Suspension' started by wi49, Feb 24, 2008.

1. wi49

wi49 Member

How big a job is it to replace control arm bushing? I'm installing a mustang ii IFS kit, and the donor arms might need the bushings replaced. Never done this, but there's a first time for everything.

2. drabo

drabo Member

How big a job is it to replace control arm bushing?

Since I don't know what year you are talking about I'll talk about replament of a 1966. On the upper ones leave them bolted to the frame. Lossen the large nuts on each end. Use lots of penetrating fluid cause they don't like to move. Once they are off loosen the bolts that hold the bushings on. Before they are all the way out remove the shims and set them down so you know exactly where they go. On the lower ones it is kind of the same. make sure to use a paint pen or marker and mark out where the u-bolts rest. Making these marks and knowing where the shims go will help you align the front end well enough to take it to a shop.

I am leaving out the obvious re-install and thr removal of the brake assmbly, control arm and spring. This is also a good time to change upper and lower ball joints.

It is a pretty easy job though.

3. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

I have replaced the bushings on the Mustang II control arms in the past, using donor parts. I removed teh old ones - pretty easy, just remove the nuts/bolts and 'knock' them out (I used a hammer and a socket). I ordered a new set/kit from Speedway Motors but since I had to knock out the old ones, I did not try to pound the new ones in. I took the arms with the new busings to a machine shop and they pressed them in. I think if you used some oil one the metal parts, you might be able to pound the new ones in or press them in with a coupld of c-clamps.

4. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

Sorry, my last post was for the replacement of the joints (ball). The bushings are harder to get out/in. I did get a machine shop to get the old ones out and to press the new ones in.