what do you think

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by i love my 64, Apr 11, 2008.

1. i love my 64

i love my 64 Member

do you guys think im in way over my head i have a 1964 im 18 years old and i this is my first car ever

2. 62 short step

62 short step Member

Nope not at all. Just make a plan of what you want to do, and do it as time and money is available. I was 18 once with a 77 chevy truck as my first truck, just took my time with it and got it looking pretty good until I totaled it!! But thats another story!!! Good luck with your truck!!

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

This looks like a perfect platform to hone your skills on. Work with your budget on what NEEDS to be done. And what NEEDS to be done first are those things concerning safety. BRAKES, Steering, Suspension... Then go from there...

Val

4. Hotrodkilroy

Hotrodkilroy Member

I say go for it. U'll have the pride of doing the work yourself and if you take your time you will have a great truck that will apprcerate in value. No metric tools needed (Bonus)
    Kilroy was here!!!!!

5. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

just try not to do what alot of us have done at your age.... dont put a ton of money and time into it, lose intrest, and get ride of it. when you get ride of a project half way throu its nearly impossible to get out of it what you have into it. trust me, ive had many projects in the past that i now look back and say to my self "why the hell did i screw myself out of that car".

you can make money selling halfway throu, but at 18, we tend to get ride of things quickly so we can move on to something else in life.

good luck, and if you get bored with it, just take a break and come back to it another day.

6. Young C10

Young C10 Member

Over your head?!!? No Way! If you think you are, I have no hope! I am only 16 with a 1966, 2nd truck though! But go for it!!

7. i love my 64

i love my 64 Member

thank guy all i wanted was a second view

8. 283 man

283 man Member

its a hobby and I love it:D My 66 & Matts 66 hes my i7 year old SON..:rolleyes:last truck is 66 parts truck named Katria....

Attached Files:

9. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

No way are you over your head. I am finding an amazing availability of parts out there for these old rigs and as others have said on this post. Just do what you can afford to do, don't get discouraged and hang onto this thing for the long term.

10. beck

beck Member

Take everything in little steps. Don't tear the whole truck apart for a rebuild. Figure out what you want for a finished truck. Then break it down into steps. Figure out what step comes first or needs to be addressed to make it dependable. This is my advice to anyone just starting with the auto hobby. After you become more experienced, have more room and tools, and don't need the vehicle for a daily driver you can do a complete tear down on a project. I have been doing this nonsense for 30 years. Now when I buy a new toy I know it won't be on the road for over a year. I take the whole thing apart at one time. It makes it a major job. If I quit 3/4 of the way through the project I loose 3/4 of my investment. I have been working on my current project for over 1 1/2 yr. I still have a few months to go.

11. billydonn

billydonn Member

I would like to second that really excellent advice! People often get overwhelmed when they get their vehicle in 1000 pieces on the ground. Result: abandoned projects. Take it a step at a time and get your brakes and steering in order first.

12. Hotrodkilroy

Hotrodkilroy Member

Theres only 100 pieces??? oh no I have extra parts!!!! Kilroy was here