Wiring

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by T-bone, Jun 7, 2008.

1. T-bone

T-bone Member

Finding some excellent info on this forum and sure glad I found it....I have a question I'm sure someone can answer on here....Changed factory radio with new. Old radio had 4 plugs in the back. 2 which are for spickers. 1 had hot and ground. The other went to dash lights. I have all hooked up but the dash lights. There is a black , yellow, gray wires. I have tryed to hook them up with no luck. The gray will cause the dash light to stay on even with the light switch off if I hook it to orange , red so I feel its the hot wire. The black I feel is the ground. The yellow don't seem to do anything. I have tryed different hook ups with no luck. I have a 1986 Chevy. What to do??

2. David Hall

David Hall Member

1986 Chevrolet Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
    Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
    Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
    Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
    Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
    Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: N/A
    Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
    Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
    Front Speakers Size: N/A
    Front Speakers Location: N/A
    Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
    Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
    Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
    Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
    Rear Speakers Size: N/A
    Rear Speakers Location: N/A
    Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
    Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
    Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
    Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

3. T-bone

T-bone Member

Cool

The colors are right on. I see every one of them. I just seen this tonight but I already did something that worked. I ran wires through the firewall and hooked to the headlights. Not tacky looks good and worked. The headlights are all ready ground and I only need the dash lights when I use my headlights. I really do thank you for your info and I will keep it for the future. Do you have a truck of the same year. I am redoing the hole inside. New dash , vents, radio and speckers, dash molding ect. ect. Long way to go. I can't fine a instrument bezel brushed aluminum. The ones I do fine have bronze tint to them. Classic Parts of America and others. So I found some other means and it looks OK. Again thanks.