Installed Carburator

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by gafcob, Jun 23, 2008.

1. gafcob

gafcob Member

I just installed a rebuilt 1B Rochester rebuilt on my 55 chevy 3/4...Did some adjusting..It sounded good idleing, but when i hit the gas...smoke..it was missing real bad..real ruff..Should I get the timing light out and check the timing? Thanks Mike G

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Mike, crank it up and let it get to operating temp and then adjust the valves. Also look at your plugs, clean and re-gap if necessary.

3. gafcob

gafcob Member

I will need a tourq wrench?? I still have not bought one....I may need help with this, I have my shop Manual..But i dont feel comfortable..I would have to watch someone do this one time before I do it..Or ...is it pretty easy Ken..

4. jon0249

jon0249 Member

It's been a while since I adjusted the valve lash, but I don't remember needing a torque wrench. Remove the valve cover, bring to operating temp and adjust each valve with the proper feeler guage with the engine running. It's sort of tricky at first, adjusting moving parts, but they only move about 1/4" or less, and you get the feel of it quickly.

If timing was off, it wouldn't idle well at all, so changing plugs is a good first start. What color is the smoke?

5. gafcob

gafcob Member

Its whiteish,,,(Smoke) the thing is ..The Carb I had on it before I got the rebuilt, It did not smoke, or miss..I think i will pull the plugs..clean them gap them...start it..check the timing, then adjust the carb and see what happens..Then i will go from there. I will keep you guys updated...Thanks For the help...Mike g

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Mike, no need for a torque wrench for valve adjustment. Nate over on the 47-54 forum did an excellent write-up on valve adjustment proceedures and is available on another website. Here's the link: http://www.speedprint.com/deves50/valveadjust.php

Hope this helps.

7. gafcob

gafcob Member

Got it...Thanks...gaff

8. gafcob

gafcob Member

Just found

A corroded wire..I was re-gapping and cleaning the plugs, and the #3 wire I think was a victim of my power wash 3 weeks agao...So..That may be the problem of not getting it to idle..or carb adjustment...Process of elimination right! off to checker I go..oh ya..Its not a driver yet...hasnt been for a long time..so My plugs were pretty Black..no burns or nothing like that just soootie...Mike gaff

9. bonvo

bonvo Member

from what ive been doing with mine it really doesnt take much to make these old 235s to run there diehard motors i have never had an issue with them my father an ase master teck has never had an issue with them there great doesnt take much to keep them running

10. gafcob

gafcob Member

I hear ya. I just had a terrable weekend..It will be better Independemce day weekend... S... My timing light would not even work...Nothing worked..arrrgggg

11. bonvo

bonvo Member

ive had days like that one time i was going out to the truck to do some stripping i get out there the brushes in my drill are fried so i go and buy more brushes get back my stripping wheel is missing so i go to buy another one come back go to start stripping and the power goes out (corded drill) i was ready to kill somthing lol