sliding rear window

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 50Jimmy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. 50Jimmy

50Jimmy Member

Today I tried to install the sliding rear window sold by CP. I had the darn thing all the way in, with the lock bead all installed and noticed there was daylight showing in spots around the aluminum frame of the window and between the cab and the rubber. I tried to scootch the window a bit one way to center it in an attempt to close up these gaps. the darn window fell out, rubber gastet and all.

Anybody got an idea what I am doing wrong here. Is the standard rubber that is used for regular window glass ok to use with the sliders? i measured the slider and there is about a half inch gap all the way between the slider frame and the pinchweld in the cab.

Do I need to use another kind of rubber gasket?

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

If it were me, I'd call tech support at CP. They are very knowledgable and want you to be happy with the stuff you get from them.

3. Chiro

Chiro Member

I am very interedted in how this works out as I am considering putting one of those in my truck as well. Please keep us posted.

thanks,

Andy

4. Blue Bowtie

Blue Bowtie Member

I put one in my truck and didnt seem to have any problems. Their gasket wasnt as thick as the factory one that i pulled out, but it went in and sealed up, and you cant see any daylight through it.

5. 50Jimmy

50Jimmy Member

Hey Blue

Did you use the gasket from Chevy duty (CP) to put in your sliding window? Did the gasket come from elsewhere? Scott.

6. Blue Bowtie

Blue Bowtie Member

Hey Scott

Yes I did use the gasket from Chevy Duty(CP). I've never put a pic in a post so not sure how, but there's a pic in the members gallery under Blue Bowtie.

7. Blue Bowtie

Blue Bowtie Member

The gasket didn't fill in the inset part where the glass goes like the factory seal did(as u can see in the pic in the gallery), but it did seal up just fine.

8. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

Does it come in green tinted glass?

By the way, has anyone come across one of these rear slider windows in the green tinted glass? I replaced all my old cracked or missing glass in the rest of the truck with green but so far have kept the back original window hoping someone would have the slider in green glass eventually. I think all I have seen so far is the smoke or grey and I thought they fit like the standard one. Thanks.

9. 50Jimmy

50Jimmy Member

more info

Adam the tech at classicparts assures me that the window is made to fit like the original glass and use the original type weather strip with the lock bead. I was in the store today and measured their display and it is the same one I have and the same one others have installed without complaint. I am probably just a doofus where glass is concerned. To be honest, I am starting to look for someone with some experience with glass to put my glass in, other than the doors. If anybody near topeka wants the job, let me know.

10. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

Blue Bowtie and 50Jimmy...

Hey Blue Bowtie and 50jimmy - how did you guys ever come out with the rear sliding window? Are you happy with it and would you recommend it? I am still thinking about if i should go this route or not. Anyone else out there also that have experience and input would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

11. Zig

Zig Member

12. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

i wrote to the manufacturer

Hey Zig - thanks for the link above. i had already seen the closeup pic of the installed rear sliding window on 'Blue Bowtie's truck. i still like the look of the original window better of course, but this slider does not look too bad - and i do like the concept of having that air flow in the cab. (i have an '02 ford explorer sport track and LOVE my rear power down window). I guess i am looking for some first hand testimonial.

Also, I can only find where this window comes in dark grey tinted glass. I even wrote the manufacturer (CRL) to see if they can make green tinted to match the rest of my glass for these old trucks, but i doubt i hear back from them. If i do, of course i will update this thread. And FWIW - our host has the best price on this slider.

13. oldbluetruck

oldbluetruck Member

I like your rear bumper. Is that a front bumper? What type of brackets did you use? Or did you make some?

TIA