wiring problem 87 crew cab

Discussion in 'Electrical Shop' started by finaledge, Dec 4, 2006.

1. finaledge

finaledge Member

I have an 87 chevy crew cab and started it up the other night ...running fine...turned on the headlights and nothing happended. shut them off then the truck stalled...cannot get it to run now. starter turns over but nothing happens...thinking it might be a bad headlight switch and possibly a blown fusible link? any suggestions?

2. drabo

drabo Member

Check to see if you are getting power to the coil. I do belive that it has a fuse link in that circuit. Headlight switch is probably bad but I doubt that it had anything to do with the other. They are two diffrent circuits. Also see if you have a ballast resistor before the coil. It is white ceramic and about 2 inches long. If that goes bad it will not run. If your truck is equipped with one do not bypass this. Doing so might burn up the distributor.

3. 87 Silverado

87 Silverado Member

I didn't know GM used ballast resistors...I've got a similar problem with my 87 Silverado. I had been noticing my radio cutting out when I turn left, then the truck shut off over a bump. Now I have nothing. starter doesn't turn over, no reaction to ignition key on. Some circuits still alive (dome light, horn, head ligths). I have power to starter. There are 2 red wires on battery stud at the starter. These both have fusible links, which appear to be OK. Where do these go? I lose them under the firewall?

4. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

do you have tilt steering? i had these same symptoms your having in a 86 1/2 ton and it was from warn thru wires in the steering column shorting things out as the touched the metal.