my brake setup

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by rtnnhazel, Jul 18, 2008.

1. rtnnhazel

rtnnhazel Member

hello everybody, i was looking my truck over the other day and was wondering if my brake setup was correct or if i left anything out. the booster, master cylinder, rear end and combo valve are out of a 79 caprice. the front brake hardware is from the adapter kit that our proprietor sells and the calipers and disks are 75 nova. i used 3/16 steel line in the front and 1/4 steel lilne in the rear. coming off of the master cylinder the blue line goes to the rear and the yellow goes to the front. since its the same setup as the caprice i used the combo valve. am i missing anything? how do i tell what size booster/master cylinder i have? thanks - robert

Attached Files:

2. shotwheelz

shotwheelz Member

Looks fine too me, except for brake light switch. I didn't see one in the pics. Master cylinder should be a 1 1/8 bore. The booster looks like the standard GM 11" booster. Have you driven the vehicle with this setup to see how it reacts to normal stops and sudden stops? Just me two cents.....

3. rtnnhazel

rtnnhazel Member

the switch is from the caprice and mounts on the brake pedal bracket. unfortunatally i have never driven the truck. its just one of the things im trying to not have to redo. its a vicious circle. thanks- robert

4. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Robert, my disc brake setup is similiar, but uses and under cab booster and master cylinder. I have an 8 inch booster, and the truck stops on a dime. It is almost too touchy. I would recommend upgrading the tie rod and ends to the 1 inch bar, and modern ends. C.P.P sells them. You also want to install some grease caps on the front discs to keep the wheel bearing grease clean, and in place. Looks good though, and should stop well.....Mike