Getting started!!!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Wolf, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Wolf

Wolf Member

Well literately. I got it started the other day!!! I had been having trouble getting fuel to the carb, I was getting the fuel pump arm behind the cam lobe. The engine sounded great:D looks like i may have a lil dirt in the needle in the carb, making the bowl overflow and leak some fuel, but other then that it should be about ready to go!!!

I have got the interior cleaned up, painted and sealed the floor. Installed new insulation under the seat, and under the new floor mat.

Paul will enjoy a couple of coats of rattle can gloss black behind the seat. I also got some new cab seals installed, that took forever!!! Now I am finishing up the brakes, and will soon take it to somebody who can help me get the door straightened out and put back on. Then its gonna be finishing up some taillight wiring and it will be ready to drive.

Here are some pics thus far. My dad is in a couple of them.. Man was he excited to check out my truck.. I can't wait to save up some more money and surprise him with and AD also!!!

Attached Files:

2. Wolf

Wolf Member

some more picture

Attached Files:

3. Zig

Zig Member

Btw~

IIRC...

Nate~ are you proud of all my acronyms I'm using?:D

IIRC, Brian's plan is to paint his truck BLACK! GMCs are bad that way~:cool:

Brian, I'm proud of you! GREAT work with the rattle can!:D
    I'm sorry I sold out and am painting my truck with a....

"Ziggy's got a gun. The whole world's come undone.":D

The good news is, I'm outside of my comfort zone! I'm growing as a human! The first coat was a bit _tough_, because I don't have instructions to my gun and I've never used it before~
    When I was done spraying 12 oz. of paint and "stuff" on just the _top_ of my cab, I found out you can adjust the VOLUME!!!!:mad:
    Let me tell yah~ bugs love acrylic enamel!:rolleyes:
    So tomorrow, I'll wet sand what I did and lay a nice, smooooth layer of clear over that beauuuutiful RED!!!:D

Brian~ by the time I'm done painting my truck, I might be able to help you with yours!;)

4. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Red

Trust you're taking lots of RED pictures to show all of us!

Bob

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Lmao !

(that was for you , Zig) :p

Wolf , that 1st. pic is the best one I've seen in years....

Looks like your hard work and diligence is paying off nicely .

I've had many black veihcles over the years , they're hot in summer , be aware .

I'd have a bodyman take a swat at the 'A' pillar before thinking about hanging the passenger door back on , looks like it got caught and bent right 'round backwards whilst backing out of a shed somewheres , this used to be very common on these trucks , I know the vent is available repop but a good panel beater can save it .

I assume you've got a 228 in there ? .

6. Wolf

Wolf Member

you got it

its the mighty 228!!!

I have always loved black vehicles... not the cleaning part, well ok i do like to wash the car!!!:rolleyes:

The A-pillar and the door need to be fixed, and i have no tools to do that, nor the patience!!!

So I figured if I could get somebody to put the door on, knock out a few dents and some minor other stuff, I would drive it around and then in a few yrs have it painted!!!!

not sure i know what IIRC is...???:confused: educate me

7. BradChev Duty

BradChev Duty Member

Iirc

If I remember correctly

8. Wolf

Wolf Member

yeah i will get up on the lingo soon... well hopefully:rolleyes:

9. Wolf

Wolf Member

Update

Here are some latest pictures... enjoy:cool:

Installed new gas tank, and sending unit, you could see why the old one wasn't working:eek:

Painted the dash... Zig style, aka rattle can style!!! Looks good for now, if, when i decide to have it painted I will have it all done, by a pro. Painted the speaker grill also

Refurbished the gauges, just put on new chrome piece, new glass, and those sticker overlays. Looks great however.

Getting the heater core fixed as we speak, It sprung a leak last time i had it running.

I still have to put in a carb rebuild kit, after seeing the gas coming out of my tank you would put one in also. I also have to get a clevis pin connection to hook up the master cylinder to the pedal, and bleed the brakes. and its away I go!!! well at least go to a friends house to have him put on the passanger door:p

Attached Files:

10. Texas53

Texas53 Member

Nice Job.

Dash looks great. Good progress over the last month. I'm sure you have realized how much time these trucks can take. Seems to me you have a good game plan. Get it back on the road first and then go from there.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice Work

Keep it up .

12. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thanks fella's!!! I sure thank you for all for the advise!!! I wish i had the time and money right now to take it clear off the frame and make it all new, but its not too rusty at all, my floor is just a lil thin, no holes, and the cab corners are still perfect!!! Plus i just can't wait to drive it:D

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

So ;

get some fish oil based paint and brush it on the undersides to stop the rust until you have the time & $ to do rust repairs .

14. Wolf

Wolf Member

Feesh paint.... sounds like its time for me to go fishing;)

Thanks for the tip... I will do that to keep it in better shape

15. Zig

Zig Member

And come Tuesday, you'll F-I-N-A-L-L-Y be able to hook up your brakes!

and how do I know this????:rolleyes:

16. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thanks again Zig, i have been so busy lately, that I wouldn't have been able to do it anyway.

I will be out of town all week, but i should have some time this weekend to play with the brakes!!!

I can't wait, then I can go for a drive:D:D:D

17. Zig

Zig Member

You got it, Brian!

I only hope your ride is much less "entertaining and interactive" than my rides were!:cool:

18. Wolf

Wolf Member

Thanks for the clevis Zig!!!!! I can't wait to get back this weekend and get the brakes working!!!:D:D:D

19. Zig

Zig Member

G Men!

Sorry for the weight~ er, I mean "wait"!
    Anyway, may your drive be as s-m-o-o-t-h as I know they can be. If mine had been, I wouldn't have torn it down. It was the tires/front end that were VERY displeasing!
    IF you find similar problems and need to do what I've found I needed to do, I can help with options! Been there, done that!:(