Balljoint Question

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by bowtiecall, Aug 21, 2008.

1. bowtiecall

bowtiecall Member

Hey has anyone replaced these before I'm not feeling too good about how these mount the old ones are riveted and the new ones have nuts and bolts my question is does this look right to me they should seat on the A-Arm but these leave a gap. Now a little history I bought these from a fellow trucker who said they are for a 61- 62 but I'm wondering maybe they are for 63-66 also note how it's pinching the boot and when I was tightening the four bolts two of them POS's stripped see pic's thanks Tony:(

Attached Files:

2. 62 short step

62 short step Member

They should be sitting on the a arm. I bet they are for 63-66. Make sure you use thread locker on those bolts (im sure you know that).

3. 65Matt

65Matt Member

Those look just like the ones i used on my 65. I am not real big on that gap, but mine are bolted in just like that. I had a heck of a time but I was able to get them flush using a ball joint press.

Enjoy, Matt

4. bowtiecall

bowtiecall Member

A balljoint press? Where can I get one. I also thought about fileing out the center diameter ever so slightly until I can get them to seat:confused:

5. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

the reason you have a gap is because you need to press them in. the factory used rivets for speed in assembly and for liability reasons. all new ball joints will be bolt in style. you can go to a parts house or a dealership and one or the other will let you borrow or rent a ball joint press, you can use it right on the truck.

6. drabo

drabo Member

Do not remember using a press for the tops but I do remember using them on the bottoms. Factory are riveted and replacement are bolted. Use RED loc-tite on the bolts. Lock washers won't hurt either.

You might be able to work it down with a couple of C-clamps.

Nice looking rig by the way.

7. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

I just did my 63 and they are bolt in [no press needed as previously stated. Those don't look too good as far as instalation. I think I would have bolted in the ball joint and then put on the rubber boot on and i know it's a pain in the butt to disassemble.After looking at a parts book I can see that the 60-62 ball joint costs $65 and the 63-70 upper cost $15. If you got the 63 joint will it be the same.?
    Do it right the first time..
    Bob

8. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

the ball joints are indeed different per the years you are speaking of. i have worked on several vehicles were when using certian aftermarket upper balljoints the fit is a bit of a squeeze compared to a factory ball joint. thats sometimes the perks of using aftermarket (almost the same but never exact) parts. im a tech at a dealership and we usually always use factory but sometimes you do find yourself using the aftermarket part which can make the job take a bit longer to get done. i perfer not to round out a nut or snap a bolt, thats why i snug them in with a press when and only if i have to.

yes make sure you have the right ball joint for the right year. once you do, and if you find out that you have the right one, do whats best for you to make sure that ball joint is fully seated.

9. bowtiecall

bowtiecall Member

Thanks for the replies ya know when i take the boot off the balljoint it seats fine i thought the boot had to go through the hole in the a-arm if not then thats how i'll do it whats the purpose of the boot is it to keep dirt and debri out or does it actually hold grease:confused:

10. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

it holds grease in as well. ya, when you install the ball joint, do it with out the boot, then after the joints installed you tap the boot on with a rubber hammer.