Are all GM parts the same?

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by dachevla, Feb 23, 2008.

1. dachevla

dachevla Member

I know this may sound ignorant to many of you, but is there any difference in parts used on different models? For example; is a power steering pump from 1970 C-10 the same as a power steering pump from a 1970 Chevelle? Obviously that's just one example, but you get the idea.
    Thanks for your help.

Danny

2. sweet70beast

sweet70beast Member

The pump itself is the same the reservior might look different. It should bolt up to the block the same. The pulley would need to be changed because in 69 and up cars they got a long water pump, in the trucks they had the short waterpumps up to 72. In 73 they went long.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Pick up a Hollander Interchange manual. The quick answer is YES, some parts are spread around.

https://www.hollanderinterchange.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

The manual is standard equipment when hitting the swap meets, or e-Bay...
    Unfortunatly, after 66 the manual takes a giant leap in cost..

Val

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. KYYATES

KYYATES Member

Door glass

I want to change door glass and wing glass, which glass do i take out first? I HAVE A 69 CHEVY C/10

5. dachevla

dachevla Member

Door glass

6. 409bob

409bob Member

I've done many and always remove the wing first. Here's my method:

Remove door panel and remove the 3 screws that hold the rear roll up window track and slide it back out of the way. (the one with the weatherstrip in it) This will allow the glass to slide away from the wing window. I usually just pull the weatherstrip out which makes it all easier. Then you can unbolt the wing window and remove it. Lift it up until it stops and then turn 90 degrees to clear the mounting bracket and out.

7. 409bob

409bob Member

A word about the Hollanders manuals. I paid a fortune for them and was a bit disappointed by how much is NOT in there. Not worth the $150 dollars I spent. :(

If you must buy one, seek out a good used one on ebay. They too aren't cheap but aren't as much as new of course. :)