Why is this tranny leaking

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by BIG CHEVY 3600, Sep 20, 2008.

1. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

700R4 and brand new never run.
    I read on a website it would need 6 qts. to fill. I filled her and later noticed a big puddle underneath. It is dripping fluid out the tailshaft. I hope I just put too much fluid in it.
    How many qts. does it take?????

2. f4fantm2

f4fantm2 Member

Maybe.......

Is the drive shaft installed? I don't know about your particular transmission, but my T-5 leaked like that until I put a spare U-joint yoke into the tailshaft. Sealed right up.

3. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

Driveshaft is installed and has a small hole in the back of it. I have heard that autotranny yokes shouldn't have the hole in it. That's where it is leaking from.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Is that a 700 r tailshaft? I am not familiar with a hole in the tailshaft, but anything is possible. Make shure that is the correct tailshaft, or snag a new one from a junkyard. If that is the right shaft, try welding the hole shut.

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'm no 700R4 expert, but if it is "brand new never run" it has not had a chance to pump some of that 6 quarts into the torque converter. Therefore the pan is overfull.

I'll bet if you read instructions for filling a new/rebuilt 700R4 it will tell you to put some smaller amount of fluid in the trans, start the engine, let it warm up, select each gear position and then fill to the mark on the dipstick.

Try that before welding shut holes, etc.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What Bill Said !

And remember to fill it slowly wile it's running , stop when it reaches the " add " mark on the dipstick and go drive it for at least 30 minutes as ATF expands by about 10 % when it reaches full operating temperature so you can easily overfill it and blow the seals right out :eek: .

Slow and steady wins the race .