12v Gauge Problem

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by thecramp, Oct 21, 2008.

1. thecramp

thecramp Member

Hi, i just buy a new 12 V Gauge Cluter, and my problem is that when i plug it the battery and fuel needles are going directely to the maximum value at the right, does it hapened to one of you ?

Thanks

2. Wolf

Wolf Member

mine did that also, but it was the old gauge. tracing it back i found that my sending unit was well... completely gone, thus causing a short circuit or incomplete circuit. I searched this forum and also http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/
    discussion boards for fuel gauge or sending unit problems. I wish i would have kept those pages, but i didn't. However there is a few step by step procedures that will pinpoint if the problem is the sending unit, the wire between the sending unit and gauge or the gauge. Also search for a wiring diagram for your truck. Here is a link for mine. http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/photos/GMCWIRE_AllModels.jpg
    It is a 52 GMC 3/4 ton, which where originally 6Volt + ground electrical systems. i just followed the diagram, and changed polarity and added a voltage reducer to get my gauge to work with the 12V - ground system I have now.

If I find the pages that I used, I will send you the link. It could very easily be a short in the wire going back to the tank. I found 3 bare spots in mine. :eek:

Best of luck

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  3. thecramp

thecramp Member

oki thanks ; it's Strange because everything seems to be ok, i didn't see problem before, my sender unit is new and my gauge too. i 'll try again to examin all wire and plug, i think my ground is good too :-( Thanks , i 'll tell you when i'll find.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Gauge Faults

Please do a search for my older posts on gause testing . I wrote comprehensive step by step directions , do them in the correct order and you'll soon know what's what .

DON'T let the <magic> smoke out of the wires ! :eek:

5. thecramp

thecramp Member

i'll do the research, ok there is maybe a problem with the wiring with the fuel gauge , but what is really strange it's the battery, the needle goes to the maximum, the voltmeter for battery is very simple to plug, but it react as a 6V , the stranger is that it's written 12v on the back! , i don't understand , how can i test if it's really a 6v ? where does the needle should stay in the good position ?

Thanks.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.K. here's the basics :

power to the _left_ most post , other post no connection , the gauge should high side .

Now , ground the rightmost post (the sender side) and the gauge should go to empty .

This and more was in my other post , I'm not trying to shine you on , I'm recovering from a traffic accident.

7. LOUDEMRILK64

LOUDEMRILK64 Member

I am going through the same thing right now myself. Figured it was just a bad gauge so I just ordered another before i saw this post. Let me know what you find out also

8. Wolf

Wolf Member

Im sure Nate's post was the one that I found that went though step by step on what to look for and what is wrong. Helped me find what was wrong on mine real quick.

there is really only 3 things, sending unit, wire from sending unit to gauge, or gauge. and make sure you have a good ground.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thanx Wolf !

That's the one , could you maybe please post up a link to it ? .

IIRC it was titled " Fuel Gauge Diagnosis " or similar .

You are correct , there's only a very few things that go wrong ,take your time and ensure good power and perfect grounds to both gauge head and sender , it'll work fine for pennies .

10. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thanx !

That one is close , I am pretty sure a while ago I wrote one that covers everything step by step in one long(ish) post...

If this one gets the job done , well and good .

12. Wolf

Wolf Member

YEP that is the info that I used. by the way thanks nate for posting it!! :D

13. jef5150

jef5150 Member

Just a thought (possibly have this backwards :confused:)..,if your new sending unit is a 0-90 ohm and your gauge is a 0-30 ohm your gauge will read "full"

jeff

14. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

If the line that goes to the sending unit is open, it will read full and in a hurry.

15. LOUDEMRILK64

LOUDEMRILK64 Member

I just replaced my fuel gauge and everything works fine now

16. thecramp

thecramp Member

... i 'm back , i'll follow the link and test the fuel gauge later, i'm actually concentrate on the 12 v gauge, the problem is the same, i pluged a wire on the body (ground) and an other on a 12v wire, the needle still go the the maximum on the right (if i invert wire it's on the left), i tried to wait a seconde to see and my fuse burned ( can it be a short circuit with 2 wire to plug?). What do you think it can be, i have only 2 wire a ground and a +12v and the gauge, it doesn't work ! crasy no? somebody can send me a picture to see how the needle should be with the 12 volt in the gauge . thank tou much.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You're all Over The Map

And this makes helping you near impossible as you're probably vreating more problems as you jump from one thing to the next .

Now , go get a multi-meter and set the range on 20 Volts DC , see what the voltage is at rest and when the engine is running...