Newer frames or better bolt ons?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by MikeD, Aug 8, 2000.

1. MikeD

MikeD Member

I'm in a dilema. I have a '66 C-10 Fleetside. I want to go with some of the nice little extras. You know, like disc brakes, power steering, better suspension, driveshaft supports, transmission mounts. I am looking at a couple of different options. Bolt-on kits- haven't had much luck. And not one of my e-mails has yet to be returned from techs at any companies. A brand spanking new chassis already set up to go, list price( small fortune). My last option, which I hope someone has gone this road, is a junkyard frame. A more modern frame with suspension and all, that I can clean up and make look good. The only problem with this I am new to old cars. How do I determine what will fit with no or little modifications? I have always loved old cars. I'm just finding out how hard it was to get them to look that good!
    A couple last things, I havent had any luck finding bed sides or a tailgate for a fleetside. Thanks again!

2. monster truck

monster truck Member

CHEVY DUTY has the bed sides listed in the online parts too. Johnnie C.

3. Craig

Craig Guest

I would stick with the stock frame.For one you have it already and its paid for.Second you can get some very good bolt-on parts for your original frame.Early classic sells some real nice suspension lowering kits and six lug disk brake kits.If you would like to switch to a five lug pattern then we will have a bolt-on disk brake kit,that you can put on in a day.You can also bolt-on a later model front end from a 71-77 1/2 ton pickup.We sell a bolt-on power steering kit that you would also be able to put on in a day.It uses a later model pump and box.Spend the money on quality shocks and springs,they will be the best money spent.As far as a tailgate for a fleetside,good luck they have discontinued for a couple of years.I don't believe any one is going to remake them.Some thing with bedsides,hopefully the patch panels we sell will help.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

4. MikeD

MikeD Member

I've been checking about more since then. I think I'm going with a 2"/4" drop kit six lug disc brake conversion. I don't remember seeing a power steering kit coversion in your catalog?

5. MikeD

MikeD Member

Oops sorry! What parts of the front end from a 71-77 can bolt on?

6. speedfreak

speedfreak Member

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-00 AT 08:31 PM (CST)[/font][p]As Craig mentioned you can bolt on the front of a later model pickup. Although I thought it was 71 to 87 Craig? You can actually bolt the entire front end, crossmember and all onto your 66, it can be taken out as a complete unit if you would like. The nice thing about using that generation front end you can get a wide variety of drop springs, even 3" drop spindles.

If memory serves correctly, you can even just use the 71 to 87 spindles and brakes if you use the later style ball joints in your A arms, and get a crosslink from a 71 or 72 disk brake equipped truck.

The kits that Craig offers are super nice and require allot less work, but if you are on a shoe string budget and want to go the junkyard route try and find a front end off of a Heavy Half pickup or a Suburban because they use a little larger brake rotor and a heavier anti roll bar.

You can see what the front end setup looks like by going to my eboard below, note though that you don't have to do a subframe to use the later front end it is a complete bolt in, I did that so I could lower the truck a ton, but you can get an idea of the parts that you can use.

http://www.eboard.com/bin/display.cgi?notebody.MB/C553IUV7!note2.txt

7. Craig

Craig Guest

Speedfreak-You are correct-The front ends are all the same from 71-87.Its nice to know that you can change out the whole crossmember with the front end.That is a good solution to adding disk brakes and a modern.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

8. speedfreak

speedfreak Member

Well, really the best way is to use a kit like you offer, starting with all new parts puts you far ahead of the game if you have the cash or are kind of new to this kind of stuff. I am on a small budget and was able to get a donor vehicle for $50 so that was the way to go for me. If you can find the donor for cheap there is a ton of stuff that can be transplanted.

9. mjo

mjo Member

I have a 66 gmc canadian built truck.I just bought a 80 chev front clip. It seems that the frame rails are 1 inch wider on 66.Will the control arms of the 80 bolt onto the originalsub frame?

10. speedfreak

speedfreak Member

I have heard of some guys saying that the frames were different, but in my 64 Chevy, the crossmember fit perfectly, so I don't know if they did some changes back then I can't see why they would though. I had the 74 crossmember bolted in there before I decided to do the subframe. This past weekend I did a little measuring and I think you can just swap ou the control arms and spindles from the later truck, which would be less work that the whole crossmember, I guess the best way is to just pull one side off and try it.

http://www.speedfreak.eboard.com

11. mjo

mjo Member

I found more trucks to measure and found that I had a bent sub framefrom the donor.I am now taking a sub frame from a 80 suburban and it measures up the same as my 66.Live and learn.regards Mike.

12. speedfreak

speedfreak Member

Glad that you got that figured out, the Suburban will be a better donor because it has the bigger brakes than the pick up, front and back, you did know the back brakes or a bolt on? That will make a major difference in the stopping power of your ride. You should try and get a proportioning valve from a pick up though, the Suburban's valve has a little more back brake bias because it has more weight back there, the pick up valve will give you a little better balance for your truck, or get a adjustable valve to tweak it to a perfect balance. Good luck!