Transmission applications etc.

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by smfulle, Oct 31, 2008.

1. smfulle

smfulle Member

Is there someplace (website, book, helpdesk etc.) that can give me information about what it would take to replace my truck (59 1/2 ton) 4 speed with a more drivable transmission such as a Muncie M20, M21 etc? Not really planning on pulling out any tree stumps or climbing up any walls anytime soon so the granny gear just adds weight to my truck, and I'd love to have something that shifts a little quicker.

I have been out of the car/truck hobby for years and have not really worked on anything except a VW beetle for at least 20 years until I bought my truck in March. I've dreamed of a 50's Chevy pickup since my Grandpa took me to the dump in his 59 Apache when I was 8.

I really appreciate the answers that I have received on this forum, but I would love to have a book or something to look at for more instant gratification. I'm a public school librarian by profession and am not used to waiting for others to give me information. I'm used to getting the information for others and I've been a bit frustrated not knowing even where to look for the information I need.

Thanks for any ideas!

Just for fun, here's a picture of my truck. truck.jpg

Stan

2. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

unfortunatly i havnt seen any publications on the subject yet, but if you get anywhere with your search please let us know.

3. bonvo

bonvo Member

what about a muncie 4 out of an early vette? same motor after all well at least same block and usually people who have the early I-6 vettes drop 350's in them and if that doesnt work im sure theres a company that makes adapters we are talking chevy here the most beautiful thing is you can open a book and there are all your parts

4. bonvo

bonvo Member

btw nice truck love the color