internaly regulated altinator

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 66streetrod, Nov 10, 2008.

1. 66streetrod

66streetrod Member

i put a 140 amp alt in my 66.cant figure out y my gen light when the truck is running stays on but is very dim.when i go to start it it is bright till the truck is running.was all good before i put the alt on.oh and i used one of those jumper kit harness where the old regulator was. any info would be a great help thanks.

2. 283 man

283 man Member

66 streetrod I dont know to much about that but if someone who does please help my buddy out!!:)

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I can't speak to the"warning" light gauges. I used a 120 amp alt in the panel truck using the adapter harness you spoke of.
    All was fine.

The light being bright when starting is normal. The soft glow when running ??
    Is that at idle ? or all the time ?

Val

4. jef5150

jef5150 Member

when you unplug the connector from the ext regulator
    i "believe" you should cut and crimp the blue and brown wire together these go to your gauge/light.
    From you alt harness you also need to hook up the blue to the alternator(gauge related)
    white wire not used

im more 67-72 :eek:guy but this seems a familiar problem when doing conversion,
    usually brown wire related, as your gauge needs resistance or it will glow.

jeff

Attached Files:

5. 66streetrod

66streetrod Member

that is all the time. reving the motor or idle,does not get brighter when reving.i dont know that i want to cut any wires just yet.i think i'll wait for anymore input.

6. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

since your alt is new i would definetly predict that it may be a faulty alt. im a mechanic at a dealership and i cant tell you how many bad reman alts ive scene come directly out of the box. that or you have a bad ground, that will also keep the light dimly shining. since you put the adaptor for the wiring, you will not need to cut or splice any wiring, thats been done for you by using the adaptor.

7. jef5150

jef5150 Member

the information i gave you was on the assumption you have converted from an external to internal regulated alternator.
    Below is a link to the complete conversion from another forum that im a member of.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=119379

jeff :)

8. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

thats correct jef5150, i do believe he is talking about the ext. to int. swap, thats what the adaptor is for that i believe hes talking about. it jumps the wires inside a insolated box looking thing so you have a clean connection. ive done that myself as well on my 66.

9. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

if its a 1 wire alt., thats the prob. my light stayed on all the time too. like one of the other posts read, the guage needs resistance, if its not there, your harness thinks there is something wrong with the 'old' alt. because it was externally regulated. just my 2 cents.

p.s. , i just unplugged the light...:D, and the guage still works fine.
    g.t.