Torsion Style Rear Sway Bar

Discussion in 'Chassis & Suspension' started by Vin63, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Vin63

Vin63 Member

Has anyone else run into limited space issues and find that the traditional three-sided sway bar (with links that point up and mount to the side of the frame) will not work? I had that issue with my '63, so I built a torsion bar system and addressed another problem from the previous owner who cut out the rear crossmember to fit a drag style fuel cell. Anyway, I used some 1-inch DOM tubing as the torsion bar housing and installed it through each side of the frame as a new crossmember. I had a left over 5/8-inch, 36-spline torsion bar left over from a previous project and fabricated some torsion arms from 6061 T6 flat stock. Has anyone else built a torsion style rear sway bar for their truck? Here are a couple of mock up photos of mine:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Vin,

That setup looks too slick !!! I'll be interested in how it performs after a few months of road work !!

Nice !

Val

3. Vin63

Vin63 Member

Yeah, me too. :D I'm expecting it to free up the rear end a little more for a better ride, especially since the torsion bar is only 5/8-inch and I can make some pretty small incremental adjustments with spherical rod ends and splined arms. The previous owner had installed one of the three-sided sway bars and I think it would bind, making the ride really harsh.