59 4 speed

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by chev57, Dec 6, 2008.

1. chev57

chev57 Member

we want to pull engine and trans out of a 59 chevy pickup as one unit what do we do about floor shifter do we just pull the top of the transmission off then pull engine and trans as one what are we going to mess up what do we need to do or watch for to make sure it goes back on right ? :confused::confused:thanks for the help robert

2. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

I might be wrong but, you should be able to undo the shifter "handle" from the tranny. look at how its hooked up under the truck at the tranny, might be held together by cotter pin or some kind of bolt. I found it easy to take photos of everything that way I can use them as reference!!
    hope this helps....... good luck!!!

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

You must be talking about the SM420 trans. ( 4 speed with compound low 1st gear)

At the base of the shifter is a collar that resembles a bowl with a hole in the bottom. Use a pair of channel locks at the top of that collar and while gripping it press down and turn counter clockwise. ( I think it's counter clockwise ?) It should pop up allowing the collar to be removed. The shifter can then be lifted out of the trans.

Val

FYI: A Factory Service Manual is a GREAT asset when working on these trucks. Pick one up from our hosts here at Classic Parts America. It will save countless broken parts during disassembly.. ;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  4. chev57

chev57 Member

shifter

o.k. he got it out by just going ahead and taking it loose from the engine and pulling up through hole where floor panel was removed //you are right on getting a service book on these trucks thanks for the help :)guys