How to make my 250ci inline6 more peppy?

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by wave1957, Sep 23, 2008.

1. wave1957

wave1957 Member

I have bought a '57 Chevy Suburban that came with a 250ci inline 6 and a Turbo350. It goes well (75/80 mph all day on the highway), but I would like to give it a bit more umph, it is especially a bit slow in town, with a head wind, or accelerating (interstate on-ramp...), for instance.
    I would rather not open/rebuild the engine, which in very good condition; there is a HEI distributor on the engine.
    I have read stuff here and there, and would like real-life opinions;
    what about exhaust: split stock manifold, headers (which brand?), dual/single line, muffler or no muffler...?
    Intake: does one QJet on an aftermarket work well (bad flow to far away cylinders...), what carb set up work well (or not!), what about EFI (would it solve the problem of the distance between cylinders?).
    I believe a camshaft would not be needed, am I right?
    Should I go for a 4-speed auto trans?
    This is for a true all-weather daily driver, no racing involved, but certainly some camping trips!
    Any input is welcome. Thanks

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  3. wave1957

wave1957 Member

Is it really that good for a daily driver?

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

You don't need to use the Weber's. They also have an intake for a 4 barrel. You can also look at a cam swap.

Figure out what kind of performance you are looking for, 0 to 60, towing, or what ever.
    That will help in determining the kind of mods you can consider for the mighty Six.

Val

5. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

I would do the 4 barrel intake feeds it just fine.