Distributor problem?

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by nhellman1, Apr 26, 2008.

1. nhellman1

nhellman1 Member

I have a 305 in my 65 c10 and itll run real good at idle and just puttin around but when i take it out on the road and get into it i runs good for about 3 or 4 minutes then itll just die like i turned the key off. and wont restart. if i wait bout 5 min itll start back up and run fine for another 3 or 4 min. its getting enough fuel and its not overheating? Can anyone help me with this problem? I has an HEI distributor.

2. gafcob

gafcob Member

Vapor Lock? Fuel pump over heating maybe? Just for the hell of it take it out, let it die..Then..and this may sound stupid..Take a skuirt gun full of water..After it dies, squirt the fuel pump with water real good...Then see if it starts right up. I swear I had this problem with my Bosses work truck, ha handed me a squirt gun and said if this happens squrt the fuel pump...Not a lie. He has a old 49 chevy rod..Hei s a pretty good Mechanic/

3. step1958

step1958 Member

after it dies check your fuel filter see if its full of fuel ? if not its the pump? i had this problem with my suburban ? the guy tryed every fuel pump you could think of ? run about 60 sceconds and die i pulled the gas tank out !!!! full of old gunk looked like tar in the bottom of tank. had it hot tanked and sealed it with http:// www.por15.com/ gas tank sealer never another problem !!!!!!! :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  4. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

BAD COIL my friend they go out when they get hot like that.It sucks:mad:

Cliff

5. Arlo

Arlo Member

Definetly sounds like a coil. They are bad about breaking down once they get hot.