Classic 3 on the tree!

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by wangmxz, Dec 21, 2008.

1. wangmxz

wangmxz Member

I need help fixing my truck. The arms on the column that are connected to the rods going to the tranny, i think are bent. I can't get the shifter to go up in reverse or 2nd. gear but i can get the shifter to go into 1st. and 3rd. What do i do? I want to keep it a column shift.

2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Member

Hi wangmxz. I also have a 3 on the tree (my truck's a '67 but it should be the same). I've encountered this problem once before. There should be a hole in both of the tabs of metal that come out of the column (I think). Put a small nail or a pin of some kind in there. Loosen the adjusting nuts at the top of the rods on the column. Have someone get inside the cab and hold the shifter in the neutral position. On the tranny, move the linkages back and forth. You should feel 3 notches. The middle one is neutral. Once you've found neutral on both linkages, leave it there. Tighten up the adjusting nuts on the rods next to the column and you're done. (It may take some trial and error, but it's possible.):)

3. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

This is what your looking for.

Attached Files:

4. wangmxz

wangmxz Member

Its not the part that connects to the transmission. I worded my problem wrong. I think its the part on the steering column part itself. Where the rods come up from the tranny to the steering column