brake promblems

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by 68bigblock, Jul 8, 2008.

1. 68bigblock

68bigblock Member

I droped a 396 big block into my 68 chevy truck that orginally had a small block. now the brake booster hit the engine. the orginal booster size is 11 inches and i was think about buying a 7 inch diameter booster but i am not sure if that is small enough. i was wondering if anybody else has ran into this problem or has any input. any suggestions would be apperciated.

Thanks
    Scott:confused:

2. Soba_03

Soba_03 Member

Brake booster

It actually hist the motor? I would say something is wrong. I have the 11" boster on mine and it's no where near my SBC. With that said, are you sure that your frame mounts are in the right location? there are three sets of holes on the frame for the motor mounts to be located in. I believe that it goes something like this, The forward holes are for the big block, The second set of holes is for small block and the third set of holes if for straight six.

I would check and see if your mounts are right first. The 7" booster is an option for you, it's a dual diapham and it sill work just like the 11" single. Is your booster mounted to the firewall or is there a bracket that moves it out inot the engine compartment? if it's on a bracket and it's not an original instalation then who ever installed it might have put the mounting bracket upside down. With the truck on somewhat level ground the front of your master cylinder should be dipped downward, or should I say should have the front portion lower than the back. It's going to look like it's bent down i the front just slightly. When you fill the master cylinder it's going to have maybe like 1/2" of the reservoir area showing. WOW I didn't explain that well..

I'll try again... Take a glass of water, fill it up to about a 1/2 inch of the top. Now lean the glass over like your going to pour it out but stop and hold it just before any of the water comes out. This is what your master cylinder should loo like when you pull off the cover. fluid level should be ready to run out the front and the back of the reservoir should still have some of the chamber showing... I hope like heck that made sence....

The booster should be close on your BBC but should not hit your motor...

Hope that this gives you some ideas as things to look for.....

3. karl w stier jr

karl w stier jr Member

big block hitting blake booster

I have come across this problem before in my 65 Super Sport Imp.G M has a factory valve cover for the drivers side that is cut on an angle on the rear of the cover to clear the booster.I found this cover on early corvets 65-67. or you can put a smaller dia. booster if you want to use the tall valve covers.I first used the factory painted slant valve cover,then i cahanged the booster and installed a set of Micky Tomson tall v-covers.If you have any problems,you can E-mail me at wack-ster@hotmail.com