Tight Fit

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by 65Custom, Dec 21, 2008.

1. 65Custom

65Custom Member

I know a guy who installed a 700R4 in hist 66 C10 and recently changed the flex plate as when he installed the engine he had the wrong plate anyway I digress.

The issue is that he has little to no room when trying to remove the transmission, there is barely enough room to get the trans in and out due to where the engine sits and the weld flange between the firewall and floor. The bell housing does not clear very well there is a lot of finagling to get it in and then it has to be pulled up using the trans bolts.

My question is Is this normal with this combination a 350 and the 700R4

I'm planning on using a LS1 with the 4L60E was wondering if anyone has done this install and ran into any issues?

Any ideas, websites or information would be great as I hope to be getting to this first quarter next year if I'm lucky

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Trot on down to your local wrecking yard and look for a truck with a granny 4 speed that used the "high-hump" floor.

You will need the trans cover AND the sheet metal that runs from the front of the cover to the base of the firewall. The sheet metal is spot welded in, so bring a drill and a spot weld removing bit.

When you lay those pieces inside your truck it will be obvious where your floor will need to be trimmed. I used pop rivits and seam sealer to install that piece into my truck. The floor trimmed out to accept the trans cover and the holes drilled that will hold it in place.

I used a LOKAR shifter on the 700 R4 and with it adjusted forward, it came up right through the old Granny 4 speed shifter's hole..

Val

3. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

WOW!, is this normal dval?, ive gota small hump/3spd column truck. would i have to do the same as youve said above?..couldnt you just cut out the tunnel and step it up about 2-3" and fill in the gap? seems easier.???
    g.t.

4. dvalentine

Yes you could do it that way... The way described was easier for me.. I did it with the engine and trans still in the truck.. It came out looking "stock" and aftermarket carpet kits went right in with no fit trouble.

Mine was originally a three speed. A previous owner converted it to a "granny" 4 speed, used that trans cover from the 4 speed truck, but filled the gap at the bottom of the firewall with a piece of sheetmetal held in by sheet metal screws. The thing leaked hot air in the summer and rain in the winter. I found that piece that filled the gap at a wrecking yard and it worked perfect. I liked the removable trans cover because it made maintence very easy too.

Val

5. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

gotcha......i forgot about the carpet/rubber floor issue... definately wouldnt work my way...does anyone sell the aftermarket hi hump floor for a '66?
    g.t.

6. dvalentine

Not that I'm aware of... Strickley a swap meet / wrecking yard / e-Bay / Craigslist item...

Val

7. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

greaaaaaaaat..., guess its back to the metal shop...thanks anyway dval.
    g.t.