How you running your exhaust pipes?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mobileortho, Dec 30, 2008.

1. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

I hooked up a temporary exhaust out of a discarded system from another truck. I ran it out of the sides in front of the rear wheels. I like the looks and it sounds pretty good standing on the outside but those Flowmasters are a tad too loud on the inside of the cab. Where are you guys running yours? The sides or the rear?

2. Zig

Zig Member

Well~

If I had a twin exhaust system, I'd run it out the back. But that is strictly "personal preference". It looks like you're a bed and drive shaft away from hitting the road! Your truck sounds great!:cool:

I'd love more pictures from inside the bed of your truck that shows your axle set up. What back end did you go with? Did you take your back springs out or did you remove the leafs in place? Was the back end that you went with smaller diameter than what was there to begin with?

I really appreciate your links to your pictures, Robert! Good luck with your decision!

3. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Zig, the rearend is from a Chevy II that I had put in the truck this spring. I didn't have the bed at that time so I had no reference for getting it centered. After removing the rearend I drilled the main leaf and removed two leafs. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

4. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

I ran my exhaust (single with a 235 6 banger) out just behind the rear fenders. I prefer this over straight out the back but that is a personal preference.
    Gater

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Exhaust & Mufflers

Robert ;

Flowmasters make a nasty loud basso-profundo rumble that'll wreck your hearing and make you physically tired if you drive anywhere ... they're designed and best used on big V-8's where they sound very nice indeed .

If you're running a V-8 ignore my comments .

GM InLine 6 Bangers have a nice musical exhaust note thanx to the soft camming , it sounds nice and I've never gotten a ticket for open pipes even when ascending hills in Bel Air fully loaded.... open pipe(s) on any old Chevy 216/235/261 sound really sweet . if you must have noise , consider glass packs , 40" or longer Smitty's are the best , loud but don't pi$$ off everyone else .

Shortie dumps look cool to some but they allow exhaust fumes to swirl into the cab :eek: not to mention crudding up the paint....

To answer your original question : I run wide open exhaust pipes , poorly attached as I keep thinking I'll re-route 'em when (if) I get the correct swing down spare tire carrier....

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I run dual flowmaster 40s and my exhaust exits through the running boards in front of the rear tires. I can't run over the rear because it sits so low. The flows sound great, but get a bit loud on the hwy. Sounds great when gearing down...pop, pop, burble.

7. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

No Jake brakes allowed in most E. Tx Towns!

If you come down here, they'll throw you in the jailhouse for "pop, pop, burble!":D

8. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

I have a 327. The cab has been insulated but I can tell it will still be loud in the cab when I hit the road.

I'm close, but I have alot of little things to address like the emergency brakes, a pesky leak in the PS pump & some electrical issues but I'm so close I can smell the rubber burning!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Flowmasters & 327

That's a match made in heaven ! :D

If you add an exhaust crossover as far forward as you can , the popping will subside and it'll have more mid-range RPM power , right where you need it the most .

You will not loose that famous Flowmaster sound tho' :eek:

Where's the P.S. leaking ? pump to housing O-Ring ? (I hate that)

Hose end ? (have new one made up)

have fun and keep us posted ! .

10. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

I wish I knew

I have no idea where its coming from but it's severe. When I fill it up it will leak out overnight. This is the second one I've had on it. The first one came with the serpentine brackets and was dead on arrival. The current one I bought used. I may need to invest in a new one and be done with it.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

PS Leaks

Well ;

First you've got to diagnose it , use de-greaser well including behind the pulley as the drive seals often poop out....

Clean it squeaky clean then let sit overnight so it's dry in the morning , fill it with ATF and close the lid , have at it and see where it gets damp...

Rebuilts are fine just remember : you CANNOT bang the pulley on ! it mustonly be installed with a bit of All Thread and big washers & a nut....

12. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

OOOPS!! :eek:

13. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Pipes

IAM RUNNING A SPLIT MANIFOLD 216 ENG 12 INCH GLASSPACKS.
    NICE OLDSCHOOL SOUND
    ROBERT:eek::eek::eek:

14. richie d

richie d Member

muffler options

hears how I ran mine. I bought a 2 1/4" mandral bent hot rod kit,and just started cutin and weldin. my neighbor gave me a set of mufflers off a f@%! mustang. Its only ran for a minute so far but it sounded grate. 51 pick up 014.jpg

51 pick up 015.jpg

51 pick up 016.jpg

51 pick up 013.jpg

15. rtnnhazel

rtnnhazel Member

richie d is that the shock mount kit that classic parts sells? i have yet to mount any kind of shocks on my leaf spring setup. also what kind of shocks are you using? do they ride smooth? thanks - Robert

16. richie d

richie d Member

I am running stock shocks, and yes the shock kit was from chev duty. the front shock mounts I made for the 86 front end and just used stock 86 shocks on it. I dont know what the ride is going to be yet. I have only ran the moter a few minutes so far. 100_0193.jpg

100_0194.jpg

100_0195.jpg

100_0196.jpg

100_0197.jpg

17. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

I question you say you like the sound out side. but it's a little loud in side, did you try to put any sound dead-ing inside the cab to help behind the panels or the floor. If you do not mind running pipes to the back, at least to the rear axle then go whatever you like from there. Maybe this was said but maybe I missed it I was just going through quickly. I really like Walker mufflers better. But that me and my two cents. If any of this help that great. Oh more pic's ;)

18. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I have Dynamat and aluminum backed jute, and you can still hear 'em. 'Course, the flowmasters are mounted directly under my seat...........

19. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Pipes out the side....
    [​IMG]

20. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

???? How do you do that??