new owner

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by barker_b49, Jan 5, 2009.

1. barker_b49

barker_b49 Member

Glad to have finally purchased a 1961 apache 10.

Seems to be a sound truck but ran into problems with 3 on tree getting stuck in first gear. i have tried to do some browsing as to how to undo this problem but only found a couple descriptions none of which i have been able to get to work. any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. Arlo

Arlo Member

What i would do first is disconnect the linkage down on the transmission
    and see if i could rotate the shifter linkage directly on the tranny. SET THE E-BRAKE FIRST. if it moves fine then your linkage probably has a ton of slack and is binding up. have a friend try to change the gears while you looke at the linkage hooked up and engine off and e-brake set. youll find it binding somewhere. I say with the engine off i dont mean to make it sound as if you dont know what you are doing but just want to make sure you dont get hurt and run yourself over.
    Beutiful truck by the way.

3. barker_b49

barker_b49 Member

well i didn't do your trick yet, but i did get it "unstuck" i will try to explain what happened. the shift set closest to the front fender was lifted toward the wipers and it "popped" back into place. i assume for it to get that offset there must be as you said too much slack someplace. now to go about fixing that. any ideas? or still start with your first statement?

4. Arlo

Arlo Member

no if you can tell it is binding there then that is where i would focus my attention. Is there a way you could take a picture.

5. barker_b49

barker_b49 Member

here are some pics: if you need another angle or other something else please let me know- stuck twice today after i parked, but i am getting better at popping it into place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009