Help with Headlights

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Ryans85, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Ryans85

Ryans85 Member

posting this for my Son,He has an 85 Chevy 4x4 long bed 3/4 ton P/U.
    the headlights stopped working and wondering if anyone can help us out?
    checked all fuses and they were all Ok,still have brake and turn signals,
    Can anyone tell us were to start to look?or check?
    Thanks for any help!!
    Allen and Ryan
    Payson,AZ

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

What type head lights do you have Duel or Quad. Did you try to check to see if the high beam work. If they do not work have you got a extra head light to try, or check to see if the connection are clean @ head lights. Or just head lights burned out?. There two grounds on the rad support above the head lights on both sides clean the connection.
    It could be the switch but most time if you other lights then it working.

This is a link to how the quad light go
    http://bowtieguy.proboards33.com/index.cgi?board=Bodies&action=display&thread=274

hope this helps.

3. Ryans85

Ryans85 Member

kind of a long story, but we did change out starter thinking it was bad,he called me from his freinds house and said truck would not start,when I got there starter just clicked @solenoid (we just put a new battery in)so started
    it in gear and got it home,we pulled starter and went to autozone,they benched checked it and came up bad, so we put a new starter in and turned it over about five times and started just fine.he went back to his friends house and when he came back, he said its doing the same thing,SO on a hunch I took Battery out of my truck and put in his,(Truck fired right up)
    so I thought his altinater was bad and had autozone check it,(it failed on there test.) I had an extra alt and put in that tested out good.truck has started fine but now the headlights don't work. I rechecked all wire conections that we removed and reconected but still no headlights.
    (OH, his truck has single headlights,and for what its worth,the dash lights
    did not work since we got the the truck,I found a gray wire in the harness near the fuse panel and looks like its be disconected for a while but not
    sure were it goes to?I bought this truck for $1500 from a buddy of mine
    for my son,my friends brother had the truck and hacked some of the
    wireing putting in BOOM box Radio,So thats half the battle,
    My Son and I are trying to give this truck a little TLC and put everything back to normal,but have a long road ahead of us.
    Sorry to Ramble on, but We both thank you guys for any help!
    Allen and Ryan
    Payson,AZ

4. Ryans85

Ryans85 Member

The highbeams dont work, something is wrong with the turn signal switch,you can pull
    back on it but nothing happens,feals like its broke in the mechanism as it doesn't click
    on or off!
    Thanks again for any help on this!

5. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

There is junction block that has two hot wires on it. It's on the fire wall just to the left of the brake master. Check and clean it but be careful not to break it lube it well if it rusty. Oh you might want to check the wire down from that there a fuse able link down in there. Other than that you might want to check the wires under the dash to make sure hooked up right.
    If as you say the head light switch does not feel like it working you might need a new one.

6. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

A multimeter (voltmeter) is very handy in tracking down where you're losing power for the headlights, and many other electrical problems you may have in the future. Start checking the easiest and the most logical first - as Pontiac1976 stated the connections at the headlights/grounds are the easiest, headlight switch seems most logical place to me for something to go bad unless this happened at the same time the radio was messed with.

As for not feeling the mechanism for the high beams, sounds like the rod slipped off the high beam switch or the switch slid out of position a bit. The switch itself is located on top of the steering column above the brake pedal, next to the starter switch. The high beam switch is the smaller white one on the left. I'd recommend checking to make sure the rod will move when you pull the lever before you pull apart the column. If you can get your hand up on top of the column (behind the lower panels) you should feel 2 rods, one (right) goes to the ignition switch, the other goes to the high beam switch.

7. Ryans85

Ryans85 Member

I got the truck over to a friend of mine who is checking out my sons truck,he said its not getting power to the light switchso hes checking it out for me,but he asked for
    a headlight wiring diagram,I got a haynes manuel,does not have anything we can find
    in it for the headlights for 85,anyone have a wiring diagram or know were I can get one on-line?
    Thanks for any help,Allen

8. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

84-86-87 for the headlight all the same you need the duel head light (single) right. 86Truck Motor wiring.jpg
    un-less the is side wire has messed up. I think it might be on the junction block that has two hot wires on it. It's on the fire wall just to the left of the brake master. Check and clean it but be careful not to break it lube it well if it rusty.

I hope this helps

9. Ryans85

Ryans85 Member

Did get the thing Fixed!
    Friend of mine who is way better the I am found that one of the wires going to the starter had a break in it,took him five hours to find it tho,he was just about to give up
    on it and decided to drop the starter one more time and check and found it.
    But he is back on the road!!!still need to get his dash lights figured out.
    I wish I was way better at electrical things
    Thanks again for everyones Help!
    Allen&Ryan
    Payson,AZ