Winter Storage

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by MISurfer, Jan 15, 2009.

1. MISurfer

MISurfer Member

Sorry fellas, haven't been on in a while. When I first got my 50 Panel, I just put a cover over it and stuck it behind my brother-in-laws pole barn and hoped that a tree wouldn't clobber it during winter. Last year I had it in it's summer spot, my neighbors driveway with a cover on it. She doesn't live there anymore (Alzheimers) so I watch over the place. But the winter is still hard on it outside. She has an empty detached garage but I knew that this truck was way too tall to get it in there. So in Nov. I was getting ready to just cover and let it sit out again when I thought, "Just how tall is this puppy?" I measured the truck and then the garage door height. Nope, four inches too tall. Brainstorm time. I had my neighbor guy help. Undid the automatic door opener and he pushed it up as hard as he could with it disconnected. Backed it into the garage with about an inch to spare! Made my day. Tonight it is about 7 degrees with plenty of snow on the ground here in Michigan. I'm glad my surf truck has a great place to sleep off the winter. Can't wait til warmer weather to start working on it again. Brian

2. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

deflate the tires

I was gonna suggest deflating the tires if the clearance was real close.

Glad you fit the sub in the garage.

Jim:D

3. Gulfstream87

Gulfstream87 Member

Winter blues

I feel your pain, I'm up in Manistee and it has not stopped snowing in three days!:mad: Counting the days till spring.

Mike

4. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Deflate the tires? It was the top that was to high, not the bottom!:D
    Gater

5. Zig

Zig Member

I feel for ya~

It's cold here in SE Kansas. Every time I get ready to complain about it, I think, "Heck, at least I don't live further North."
    This weekend it's supposed to be back in the 40s. *Perfect* weather for working on my AD's home!:cool:
    Good luck with the snow, guys...

6. Chiro

Chiro Member

Snow yesterday. 10 degrees when I woke up today. Got my heater control valve back from the rebuilder 2 days ago. Don't think I'll be puttiing it in until spring:D. good thing I hooked up the heater without it. At least I have heat, although I cannot shut it off. I guess that's what windows are made for:rolleyes:

I'm counting the days until spring too, although I had a nice little break this past weekend. Was in Orlando running the DisneyWorld Marathon. Great race, great weather. Then back home to this. Yechh!!!

Andy

7. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

Man - I LOVE living in Colorado! Went for a walk at lunch without my jacket. Oh - and the sun shihes most of the time.

8. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

sunny cal

:Dsunny here in so california
    shorts and a t-shirt
    Robert

9. gmcman1965

gmcman1965 Member

just to make all you fell better (except maybe brian) it is around 0 degs and 3-4 feet of snow in the yard. anyone want to move to ontario canada and let me try your warmer climate let know , i have the truck (work in progress) tuked away in my heated garage, triing to get it together so i can finaly drive it this summer (hopefuly)

10. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

You can always move to the south. East Tennessee mountains at at 3 degrees F as I write this.
    Gater

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Meanwhile In L.A. ;

We've been suffering through a heat wave ~ 86* F downtown , hotter in the Valley's and in Hollywood where I've been observing the resurrection of a 1980 Caddilac Fleetwood Herse.....

& sweating my butt off too :rolleyes:

I don't miss the snow and ice one bit .