I smell gas

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mobileortho, Jan 1, 2009.

1. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

I've noticed that there is the strong odor of gasoline that appears to be coming from my exhaust. My cloths reek from the smell after I let it sit running for awhile. I've checked and there are no leaks anywhere. What gives?

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fuel Leaks

I assume you're looked behind the seat at the fuel gauge sender as the screws are often in need of a 1/4turn to staunch the seepage there....

IIRC you havea 327 ? with a Rochester Quadrajet perhaps? look closely at the inlet and between the wells for wetness as they're troublesome there , if the Air Horn gasket is wet the float is too high or you have a tiny dustspeck holding the float needle valve open allowing flooding....

This is just the beginning , look everywhere (tank to filler neck hose) for dampness as a tiny bit of fuel stinks to high heaven .

3. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Nope, it's a 327 with TPI and the gas tank has been relocated to the rear framerails. I don't think there's a leak because Iv'e inspected the system thoroughly and find no leaks. I only smell it when the truck is running and it seems to be coming from te exhaust.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Lean her out a bit. See lots of Black soot? That would be it.

5. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Has the gas been sitting in the tank very long? I stink up the whole house (Again, Zig, stop with the jokes) when I fire up my truck in the basement after it has been sitting a while. It does not smell like fresh gas but more like varnish burning.
    Gater

6. Zig

Zig Member

What???

You rebuilt your truck in the BASEMENT??? How are you going to get it up the stairs???:D

On a related note, my dad once built a set of kitchen cabinets in his basement. When he tried to turn the corner with them to get them up the stairs, he found that they were to long and had to cut them in half!:eek:

No, Gater~ the apple didn't fall far from the tree...:rolleyes:

7. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Basement

Built it in the basement:D I love you guys, you do make me laugh, and boy i needed to.

Reminds me of a few years back when a guy i knew knocked up a boat in his back yard, took him 2yrs but he lived in a terrace (row of houses joined together for you yanks) with houses behind too, we all jus thought he had a plan so didnt say owt, anyway come the day it was finished we did ask and he said, "you know what, i havnt even given it a thought" and had that sort of look on his face where u know reality has just sunk in, "i will hire a crane" he said.

Boat is still there as far as i know:rolleyes:

Anyway back to the point in hand, hows the return to your tank, make sure it sits at the bottom of the tank or the constant flow back to the tank will just stir up the gas and cause a lot of fumes from the vent.

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Robert C. ,

Before you go on a cruz do you by chance eat a few pickled eggs and have a little stout Ale?

Or check the fitting/s at the connections on the fuel lines from the fuel pump forward. Those connections are under pressure and may be causing fuel to leak only while running hard.

9. chevy$

chevy$ Member

gas smell

it is deffinetly the muffler or if you put in a catalack converter deffinetly check them out. Good luck have fun

10. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Well, I've had numerous suggestions as to the source of the smell. I'm starting to wonder if it's actually the fuel pressure regulator. I've noticed that it's sucking way too much gas. It's gone through about 1/4 of a tank just sitting in the driveway. I may try an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to correct the problem.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Robert ;

Since you're running TPI F.I. , you must match the fuel pressure _EXACTLY_ to the factory specifications , not add a fuel pressure regulator .

Too much pressure usualy results in rich running .

12. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

could this be the culprit?

Well I was piddling around this weekend and noticed that the 02 sensor wire was "cut". Looks like I had it caught under the distributor cap. It runs a heck of alot better! I took it out again for a ride and left some serious rubber on the street if you know what I mean!

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yes , We Know !

It's those darn cheap tires again :mad:
    After all , you wouldn't be breaking any laws by speeding :eek:

:D

14. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Me speed??? ;)

15. Zig

Zig Member

Zoom-zoom

What? With that dinky V8 of yours???:D

OK, Robert. Now it's time to blow it apart and paint it!;)

16. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Nah, I've still got alot of tweaking to do!